Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2000, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I recently posted a discussion on vacant lots. I turned down the job, but the guy called me today to ask if I could do the trim work on these 6 lots. Basically, road frontage trimming along the curve(150-200' each). I'll probably take the work, but I don't have a clue what to charge. Shouldn't be much more than running an edger and blower along the road. I'm sure I can estimate it, but thought I'd run it by you guys first. Thanks, Bill<br>
Old 01-29-2000, 08:07 PM
Banned

Linear ft of total edging (sound like 900-1200 linear ft) divided by production rate, multiplied by hourly rate. <p>Don't forget to add cleanup, loading, travel time, etc. This is just how I would figure. By the way, in no case would I let the customer know what the hourly rate is. I give them a cost, period. The rest are figures for your benefit, so you know you are bidding accurately, with meaningful numbers and not playing a guessing game. <p>By the way, this is how I figure any task I do. This way, I know I won't be working for $30 per hour if I don't want to work for less than $40 per hour. These are just hypothetical numbers. In this case, unless there is more than two hours of work, I'd make sure I made a very high hourly rate.<p>I'd be very interested to hear how others would figure their numbers.<p>John<br>
Old 01-29-2000, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Why don't you just apply a non-selective<br>herbicide twice a year?
Old 01-29-2000, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally, I don't think I would be able to get as straight a line with herbicide as with an edger. Edging is probably best done with an edger.
Old 01-30-2000, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Talk about unprofessional! The people that are too lazy to do a job the proper way, especially useing an edger on road frontage, do give this industry a bad name. I have seen others do that kind of crap on a curb and it makes me wonder how in the world they are still in business. I agree you can use it along fence lines and even along industrial buildings that are not a show area, but a curb, driveway, and sidewalk are edge only for me. Curb appeal is very important to the overall appearance of any landscape, I would never think of using round-up, square-down, or triangle sideways on my properties. I think the only ones that do this are old retired people!<p>Homer
Old 01-30-2000, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Homer, where I live ( in the country) no one edges their lawns. Roundup is the edger of choice here. Even in the ares that I cut there are only a few homes that do it. I am having a hard time getting customers to pay for it, they like the looks of it but not willing to pay for the time. I guess we're all old folks here. We do own a retirement home though maybe I can get them to do the edging.
Old 01-31-2000, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Retro67,<br>I agree with that simple formula, however the production rate is in question. It's not your typical edging. It's field grass that is creeping out over the curb into the street. It's kinda like when you first edge a yard that hasn't been done in a long time. You have to cut it back a ways to find the &quot;true&quot; edge. Bill <br>
Old 01-31-2000, 08:23 AM
Banned

Bill-<p>I know it may be difficult to figure your production rate, but this is why they are called estimates or bids. Have you edged overgrown curbs before? I realize, just as with mowing factors, sometimes you have to vary the production rate you plug in. Say you normally can do 60 ft per minute if the edge has been maintained and it takes 1/2 hour to do cleanup. Maybe this other job would take 30 ft per min and 1 hour cleanup? This is just an example, a guess. You probably know, better than I, the production rates you can achieve with your equipment under normal conditions. <p>If you overbid you don't get the job, possibly. If you underbid, you may get the job and regret the fact you did.<p>My advice is to bid a little high so you don't get stuck working for some ridiculously low amount. I hope this helps you.<p>John<br>