Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2001, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Accounting

Accounting
i am currently using a busness program called MYOB
it is fine but my problem that i have with this one, and others that i have tried is that.

When i make an invoice at the end of the month i cannot include a balance owing from a previous month for that client i have to make a statement for which i find redundent. Do you guys know of any program that will include an outstand balance in the invoice.

PEOPLE THAT CAN'T GOLF, WORK ?
Old 12-17-2001, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When i make an invoice at the end of the month i cannot include a balance owing from a previous month for that client i have to make a statement for which i find redundent. Do you guys know of any program that will include an outstand balance in the invoice.

First, you make an invoice when you bill for each thing. A statement is the sum total of all the invoices in a certain period. I am assuming you want to do is carry a balance forward onto the next month's statement. This can probably be done with your program. I'd suggest...

1. Make sure that you understand the difference between statements an invoices. I'm not being smart, I mean as they apply to MYOB.

2. Check to see if there is a setting for this, or if you are asking the program to print an invoice when you really want a statement.

3. If all else fails, go to the company's website and see if there is a board like this where you can get some support.

4. If your program really has a limitation and won't allow you to do this, Peachtree 1st Accounting is about $80, and Quickbooks is around $120. Both are easy to use and have built in tutorials which will walk you through any task you need to complete.

Please post the solution to your problem here so other users can benefit from this. Good luck.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 12-17-2001, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

no offence taken
yes i do know the difference
but it would be allot easier an make more sence.
it is the same princaple as the phone companies invoicing system
they have a current and a previous balnce.
and a total.
sorry maybe i did not make myself clear enough the first time.

Old 12-17-2001, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Accounting

Quote:
Originally posted by robmtl
Accounting

Don't know about MYOB, but in Quickbooks you can accomplish what you want by using what they call "statement charges". The way this works is that you enter the statement charges (one line invoice descriptions) and they print on the statement. The end result is a combination inovice and statement.

It looks like this:

Beginning balance 200.00

12/1/01 Mowing 50.00
12/8/01 Mowing 50.00

12/20/01 payment received -150.00

Ending balance 150.00

This seems to work pretty well when you are sending out monthly billings. You enter the statement charges during the month as the work is performed, and at the end of the month you print the statement with the month's activity.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:46 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Bruces

I use myob for macintosh and it works just like what you described for quickbooks, only thing different is myob calls it balance forward.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

hi bruce where can i find this balance forward in the invooice or the statement part of the program and is that what you use
thanks alot

Old 12-17-2001, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robmtl
hi bruce where can i find this balance forward in the invooice or the statement part of the program and is that what you use
thanks alot
If I remember right, it is in the statement function. No, I don't currently use it as I am new in the business with not much work this summer. I intend to use this next season when I am expanding and will bill accounts monthly instead of invoicing each service.

I have an accounting client that uses this in their full service lawn and landscape company and it seems to work well for their fairly good sized company.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

robmtl,

I seems only the specialized systems print out the previous balance on an invoice. This is not common information with most accounting procedures.

What I've found to work well:

Bill commercial by invoice. They pay by invoice and have an A/P department that is generally organized.

Bill residential by statement. Enter the charges right on the statement. Seems residential customers would tend to pay a current balance but have missed a previous balance and without an orgaized A/P dept they get confused and waste your/your staffs time mailing out statements and invoice copies.

Commercial: Invoice
Residential: Statement billing
Old 12-18-2001, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kent lawns is right about comercial accounts. They pay invoices not statements. A statement is just what it says a statement of the status of your account. An invoice is a demand for payment.

Me recommendation is Send invoices to all and only print statements for those not having a zero balance. Reason, it is easier to backtrack on specific unpaid invoices on the open invoice method than the balance forward method.

If a disput arises for any reason, problem service, lost check, bill lost etc. it is easier to say you didn't pay this invoice number with this date than you owe me this. Then it is up to them to prove different.

Been there, done that.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

been reading up on the subjct and there are a few programs that do what i need but i am trying to get it to work with quickbooks.

found a few people with the same idea as mine.
We would like to bill at the end of each month.
and be able to print a balance owing on the next month thanks for your help but found a great message board for account solutions. thanks again guys.