Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Rock Pricing???

I have always bid any rock jobs by the yard of course a mark up, labor to install, deliveries. I recently had a local contractor ask me to give him a price per square foot installed. Do alot of people do this? Can anyone help me out that may know more about doing it this way. Does it change if you are installing river rock or 2" to 3" reynolds rock? Any info would be great.

Thanks alot!
Zach

Have a great day!
Zach
Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only things that I cn tell you is that the larger the size rock, the harder it is to shovel and rake and more of it is needed to cover the ground.

In other words it is easier to shovel and rake sand than it is to do the same with peastone which is easier than 3/4" which is eaier than 1" which is easier than 1.5",....

Also you can completely cover the ground with a quarter inch of sand and not see any of the original ground. If you coat the ground with 3/8" of an inch of 3/8" stone you will see the ground between each stone, so you have to go twice as deep. I remember a job I did working for a landscaper who priced out a McDonald's using 1.5" of 1.5" river rock to meet the obligation of covering weed mat. That was an expensive mistake and it really sucked loading wheelbarrows and raking it.

I always try to use the smallest rock that is effective for what I'm doing.