Register free!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Brain Storming Time

Before I submit my proposal on this lighting job, I thought I should first solicit the ideas of my fellow lighting contractors.
I have a large project to design for a developer. Included in this proposal is a 200' bridge that spans a marsh. There are concrete borders on both sides of the lanes that are about 2.5' tall. The developer took it upon himself to have junction boxes installed every 25' along the bridge on both sides because he wants some very low light to define the drive way onto this island. Keep in mind that these lights will be surface mounted, and they will be only about 18" off the ground. He did provide conduit between j-boxes, but it is only 1/2" Sched.40 grey electrical conduit.
Here's my dilemma:
1.) What fixture can you recommend that will cover the j-box?
2.) Being that the conduit is only 1/2", what kind of wiring method would you use? There are 9 lights, spaced 25' apart on both sides. 200' from the first fixture to the last.

Looking forward to some great responses!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Chris... Man you should know better by now!

PHOTOS PLEASE!

Nice long shot from either end and then some close ups of the posts/columns on the bridge.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh! Sorry. I forgot to mention that I will be trying to post photos tomorrow. I've been trying to wait until I got the photos, but I couldn't stand not asking the q. BTW, there are no post or columns. It is just a straight concrete border along the sides of the bridge; much like the barriers that you see along the road during construction (just a little shorter and prettier).
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay... I will wait to see the photos, but I have an idea for you that might just look really spectacular, and be completely glare free.

Would you prefer using raw brass or powder coated aluminum? (There would be a BIG cost difference.)

More after I see the photos.

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Before I submit my proposal on this lighting job, I thought I should first solicit the ideas of my fellow lighting contractors.
I have a large project to design for a developer. Included in this proposal is a 200' bridge that spans a marsh. There are concrete borders on both sides of the lanes that are about 2.5' tall. The developer took it upon himself to have junction boxes installed every 25' along the bridge on both sides because he wants some very low light to define the drive way onto this island. Keep in mind that these lights will be surface mounted, and they will be only about 18" off the ground. He did provide conduit between j-boxes, but it is only 1/2" Sched.40 grey electrical conduit.
Here's my dilemma:
1.) What fixture can you recommend that will cover the j-box?
2.) Being that the conduit is only 1/2", what kind of wiring method would you use? There are 9 lights, spaced 25' apart on both sides. 200' from the first fixture to the last.

Looking forward to some great responses!
10 gauge stranded THHN pulled through the 1/2" PVC
I'm assuming 4 on 1 side 5 on the other in a triangular spacing formation. 4 home runs- 3 fixtures per homerun with homerun going to "middle" fixture for 2 sets of 3 lights. 1 fixture will have it's own homerun and the other two will take the 4th homerun.
No prob.

the only flush wall mount fixture that comes to mind immediately that is large enough to cover the box is a bell shaped jumbo fixture that is made by I think SPJ.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

9 lights on each side with only 1/2 inch electrical conduit. I don't think I can get more than one 10/2 wire down this 200' span, and I certainly don't have room for a "T" configuration (I don't think, but I've never tried).
Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Okay... I will wait to see the photos, but I have an idea for you that might just look really spectacular, and be completely glare free.

Would you prefer using raw brass or powder coated aluminum? (There would be a BIG cost difference.)

More after I see the photos.
Have to use brass because it is ocean front.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL The Difinitive answer has been provided to you Chris! No need for any more input I suppose.

Unfortunately that difinitive answer did not include any fixtures, nor did it take into account any loading, ambient light levels, positioning of fixtures, required or expected light levels of the finished product, use of the bridge, etc etc.

I dont know about you, but I have never been able to properly design a lighting system without actually seeing the location of the project! Pete must be just awesome and quite the magician.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
9 lights on each side with only 1/2 inch electrical conduit. I don't think I can get more than one 10/2 wire down this 200' span, and I certainly don't have room for a "T" configuration (I don't think, but I've never tried).
I shouldn't bother after your derogatory response in another post but.
3 home runs on both sides. 3 lights per homerun with the homerun to the "middle" fixture. A T wiring config. yes certain conduits closest to the trans will have 6 stranded 10 gauge conductors (1 black and 1 white per circuit) A good electrician will have no problem pulling 6 #10's through a 1/2" straight PVC conduit 25'. Just use some lube or motion lotion or pay an electrician to pull them for you.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the quick response James. I'll try to get those photos tomorrow.