Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just put the extra cable in

I have a large landscape construction project coming up in mid spring 08. Today I was negotiating the lighting end of it with the GC (Who I am working as a sub for) and the owner. The initial proposal was for 80K for the lighting. The owner only wants to spend 40K but wants the option to go to the 80K job once they see the lighting and know what will be left of their budget when the house is done (it's a new custom). Fine, I recommended pre-wiring for the approximately additional 150 fixtures and charging 10 large for it. The owner wants me to "throw it in" and the builder is insinuating that I should as it's a large contract. I'm not into working on speculation and don't appreciate carrot dangling. In the old days when cable was cheap maybe. But now with cable what it is? Am I being a cheap greedy ***** ? Thank you.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 12-19-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stick to your guns. Do a full scale design, spec & quote, then sell them only the zones that are most important to them and fit into their initial budget. The rest can be done later as a separate contract.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

inform them if you install the Infastructure for your additional lighting it will be $10,000 now but the future projects will be that much more affordable. With copper prices rising like this its to their advantage to install the wiring now for a few reasons.

Acessibility
property disturbance
avoid rising costs of copper and materials.
decreased labor costs in the future project.

If you can lay in with the irrigation guys it will save you mass amounts of labor to install it now. Your price can reflect that as you will be spending considerably less time on the project now as compared to if you had to hand install all of the wire post landscaping.

Make this oppurtunity work for you and your clients benifit. Save yourself the hassles of installing it later and save them the additional labor costs and you will be a hero for watching out for your client in the long run.

Only way I would prewire the project for use at a later date would be with a firm signed contract to perform the work exclusivly by us by such and such a date or XXXXX will be due for compensation for the prewiring.