Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seolatlanta View Post
He wrote-
"David- Thanks so much for being my friend."

If you read the book he stresses friends doing business with friends.

Wow, sounds like he would have been a great guy to know. I am sure he will be missed, but his legacy will live on and on after him.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best of the Best. Only ever can be one. Never to be seen again in this business.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Said like a true legend. Even though he took the low road and slammed Unique, Hadco, John Deere and Ewing.

This is not a Hallmark greeting card,
I took 50 years to earn this!

When we say Assembled With Pride—Here are the “Made in the USA” assemblers.

These are the Powercenter “Made in the USA” professionals.

Brass foundry crew…Poured in Redlands, CA…Not South America

Our creative art deparment — Hands on…not a Madison Ave Hot Shot.

Nightshift Powder crew - over 125 colors in stock.

After many long years, Rebekah is now a graduated landscape architect. Do you have one on your staff?

Shipping Department and Manuel…one of 30+ years employment. These are human beings that make, admit and correct mistakes.

Our fabrication deparment-want it 2″ shorter? Want it stainless? Have your own design that you want made? Does this sound like Hadco or Unique?

The office support staff with over 125 years of service to the 12 volt industry.

I’m proud of the profitable industry built for contractors and loyal distributors. John Deere and Ewing are quite successful in turning a contractors specialty into a commodity.

I didn’t and I won’t.

Bill Locklin
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Really sad. I never had the oppurtunity to meet or speak with him but I really do appreciate all he has done for our industry and his innovative ideas that were copied.

May God watch over him now and bless his family with the strenght they need to overcome thier huge loss. I really hope the folks at Nightscaping have the desire to continue all his hard work and continue his dreams.

Rest in Peace Bill. Thank you for all you have done for our industry.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If anyone would like to leave a comment, or read what others have to say, go here:

http://www.nightscaping.com/site1/?p=73
Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
If anyone would like to leave a comment, or read what others have to say, go here:

http://www.nightscaping.com/site1/?p=73
Very sad indeed. Interesting to read the condolences left by others. No one had a bad word.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

There is no greater Man in Lighting than Bill Locklin. He will be missed but never forgotten. His greatest quote was "Clients think Low Voltage lighting is expensive. Lets not dissapoint them."
Sean C.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Said like a true legend. Even though he took the low road and slammed Unique, Hadco, John Deere and Ewing.
Pete.

I think he had a point there about how lighting is being turned into a commodity. What I think he meant was that these larger distributors, working with manufacturers who want more market share, have made lighting accessible to just about anybody who wants to get started in it.

A lot of distributors and manufacturers these days offer free seminars. Bill figured the information was useful enough that people would pay for it.

I first met Bill back in 1989 at a two day seminar he put on with their distributor at the time, KKW. I can't remember what I paid, but all of it was brand new to me and worth it. (It would later be expanded into Nightscaping University.) I installed my first lighting job a couple months later.

Bill always put the contractor first, sometimes to the point of ticking off distributors. He obtained his contractors license in 1946, kept it current and active, and often called himself a wire twister.....

Take a look:

http://www2.cslb.ca.gov/General-Info...p?LicNum=83633

Bill was a great man, and he was a good and generous man. He was a remarkable visionary and he was down to earth. He had solid values and strong opinions.

Bill never stopped learning and he always found ways to share what he learned. If I live to be an "old dog" I'll look to Bill's example for learning "new tricks".
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the commodity part but I also think it's hypocritical. If he felt that way then why does he sell his products through those 2 distributors if he was true to his convictions?

As for the free seminars, Nightscaping has done their share of free seminars too.

What has Nightscaping done to protect the contractor from this "commoditization" ?

I'm not knocking the man and I have no reason to believe what you say about him is untrue. But let's be honest here. He played on the same field with all of these commoditizers and contributed to it equally.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
I agree with the commodity part but I also think it's hypocritical. If he felt that way then why does he sell his products through those 2 distributors if he was true to his convictions?

As for the free seminars, Nightscaping has done their share of free seminars too.

What has Nightscaping done to protect the contractor from this "commoditization" ?

I'm not knocking the man and I have no reason to believe what you say about him is untrue. But let's be honest here. He played on the same field with all of these commoditizers and contributed to it equally.
I'd actually like to move this discussion to another thread Pete and not hijack this one.