Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike M has no flippin site. But I have a stupid logo, a business card, 50 cents a sheet letterhead, and a white truck with one remaining magnet (the other got blown off the other night when it was windy. I had the driver side magnet hidden in my truck to sneak by a gate posing as a friend of a prospective customer, it got bent a little, and didn't stick good when I put it back on), a fancy $700 church bulletin ad which to date has generated a $25 tree stake sale, and a land-line phone so B2B sales guys can reach me. I bought a digital camera, if biz doesn't pick up, I'll head to Jacksonville to take my own original pic's of Chris's work.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Mike M has no flippin site. But I have a stupid logo, a business card, 50 cents a sheet letterhead, and a white truck with one remaining magnet (the other got blown off the other night when it was windy. I had the driver side magnet hidden in my truck to sneak by a gate posing as a friend of a prospective customer, it got bent a little, and didn't stick good when I put it back on), a fancy $700 church bulletin ad which to date has generated a $25 tree stake sale, and a land-line phone so B2B sales guys can reach me. I bought a digital camera, if biz doesn't pick up, I'll head to Jacksonville to take my own original pic's of Chris's work.
wow...guess i touched a nerve there.

i especially loved the "phone so b2b sales guys can reach me"....I totally feel your pain there. except my number goes straight to my cell, for even more fun times of incessant calling about whether or not i take credit card payments yet.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Your Hired!!! I can't do it!
Member AOLP, CLVLT #0638
FL Lic#ES12000428
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Naw, I'm having fun at my own expense. The website I'm putting off for photo's with my new camera. My only point is that I'm still just a rookie. I may have to resort to marketing images from manu's, too. Just now I'm paranoid.

For ethical reasons, this is how I did my last postcard, I used a stock color photo from a manu (provided by them with their permission), and put their logo on it. On the back of the card, I used my logo in black and white with my own written copy. I tell my customers I'm new, and that I'd love to show them what I can do with a demo.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
This is some funny stuff. keep at it . Things will change. Listen to ole Pete's advice. He did over 600K last year. Or at least that's what he claims and others dispute.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

for those who are budget-conscious, my web guy did my site for $100 up front and $75 a month, including hosting and 1/2 hour of labor each month.

if it weren't for this type of fee structure, i could never have gotten my site up so soon.

if anyone would like to get his contact info, i'd be happy to pass it along, it's been a great experience working with them.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah, it was so freaking windy the other day, I also lost a six foot ladder off my truck and didn't realize it until I got to the Atlantic Bread Company for lunch. I was startled and worried about it triggering an awful accident. I did the right thing, after soup and a sandwich, I went back to look for it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, it was so freaking windy the other day, I also lost a six foot ladder off my truck and didn't realize it until I got to the Atlantic Bread Company for lunch. I was startled and worried about it triggering an awful accident. I did the right thing, after soup and a sandwich, I went back to look for it.
Stopping for Lunch was your first mistake in business. Remember what Gordon Gecko said-

'Lunch is for wimps"
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what brought me in there was having to pee really bad. I can hardly afford soup. It was that deal "1/2 bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwhich."
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I think what brought me in there was having to pee really bad. I can hardly afford soup. It was that deal "1/2 bowl of soup and 1/2 sandwhich."
Mike, have no fear... perservere!

9 years ago, my first year in this business, I had sales revenue of some $2400.00 ( I kid you not! One job.) I was driving a 1986 Chev pickup, working full time as a truck driver for BOC Gasses and driving around to community bulletin boards posting a single page glossy 'flyer' to act as my marketing. Now I am doing over 200 times that first year's sales with steady growth.

Find the Passion and let your clients share in it. People just love doing business with others who have a passion for their work. It is infectious.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA