Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Overall what do you think?
Great Idea 3 30.00%
Good Idea 7 70.00%
Not so Good Idea 0 0%
Terrible Idea 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2001, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1,2,3 Punch

In attempts to acquire new customers in a neighborhood that I'm not currently in, I am thinking of delivering a 1,2,3 punch advertising campaign to potential clients. I want to deliver first round of advertising by inserting a simple flyer on the outside of the weekend paper in mid-late February. Follow that up with my better brochure on the door a week or two later then go with direct mail last in Mid-march offering something free YES FREE. Like a free mowing with mowing and fert. agreement. Or something else along these lines.

Why? People will always jump at something free and I'll just have to adjust my prices a little. Overall revenue will be affected less than 3%, 26-28 cuts and 6 apps average lawn is cutting is $45-55. I will do this on prime clients with alot of profit potential only and I am doing this because I want to enter this neighborhood as much as possible and as quickly as possible this year. I also want to go around in mid-late July with a fall brochure. Since I will be doing all inserting, my costs are mostly early weekend morning labor after a long winter that has added 10-15 lbs. that I need to work offf before all h## breaks loose April 1st,

If anyone else has tried this let me know your success. General thoughts are also welcome if you haven't too.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never embarked on a concerted marketing campaign like that, so I can't say how well it oughta work. But I know repitition is important, and it sounds like you're doing that.

I'm not sure I understand the 'stuff yourself' idea. Do you have a paper route? Or is the paper letting you stuff your flyer into their paper prior to delivery?

And the free thing, well, I'm not fond of it. Sure it generates interest, but mainly from those people who want stuff for free. Can you offer them free estimates instead? Because that's something nobody can really charge for anyway, but it does get the word 'free' in there.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy was a sales rep for a radio station.
Repetition. Repitition. Repitition.
"THAT is the key to success" he says.
After the third flyer, they will think that they are missing out on something and that Mr. Pickles next door is going to have a better co and save money, too.
This is a good experiment considering you are going to keep it small. Please let us know how it goes. (#homes, #inquiries,#sales).
Old 12-19-2001, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the constant flyers i would agree with and your timing will be good for the free aspect i would disagree i hav done similar things in the past and it always left a bad taste in my mouth and i generally did not gain
Old 12-20-2001, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it sounds like a good idea but on the free stuff I would have yearly contracts so they would not take the free-be and run .

just my 2 cents
Old 12-22-2001, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with EMan!

Only something for free with a year contract. Most will "use" you. If you insist on "free" then maybe the last cut of the season?? Just guessing here. Sell your professionalism and good work. Good clients will see this.

Matthew:blob4: