Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2000, 10:21 PM
Ken

I am another new guy to the industry. How many of you belong to Trade Associations? ie.PLCAA. What other Organizations are there on a National level? Do you feel that being a member benifits you? Thanks in advance to any and all replies.
Old 01-27-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken,<br>We belong to a few: 3 local, 2 state and the PLCAA is the only national one we belong to.<p>Do I feel being a member benefits us? No.<br>Will I sign up for all of them this year again? Yes.<p>I guess I like to stay one step ahead and keep in tune with the industry. It costs about $1000.00/year for dues, so it's not a big deal.
Old 01-28-2000, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Lazer basically. You do not benefit in direct $$$, but there is benefit in trade assns. State and national assn memberships provide awareness of new products, procedures and trends in the industry. The annual/semi-annual conferences offered by state/natl groups is a terrific opportunity to speak with non-competing peers about details of the business - a lot more open than this forum even.<p>The GIE at the annual PLCAA/PGMS/ALCA conf is a great trade show. Memberships usually also get you on industry mailing lists, that furthers your education and information.<p>Local assns, if active, can really help in education. I got my real start in the business by attending a program at a university set up and funded by local green industry trade groups. University was involved only because it had the teaching facilities. Courses were not accredited, but was college level info to help people get started in business.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-28-2000, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, there are benefits and I do not mean to discourage anyone from being a member of and participating in professional associations. <p>The benefits certainly are there, but they're difficult to measure.
Old 01-28-2000, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer,<br>what State associations are there in Michigan?<br>Thanks<br>Jason
Old 01-28-2000, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I would find one who requires some sort of education in the industry. Those who require large membership dues for a sticker on your truck or a flyer letting you know its time to fertilize are better left alone.<p>Who shut the snow off in NEB??
Old 01-28-2000, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason,<p>MNLA- Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association<p>LSAM- Lawn Service Association of Michigan