Register free!

Old 12-14-2001, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Plumbing question

I've got a question. First of all I dont do irrigation work. I had one particular client, a good friend of mine who also owns 2 stores we maintain. I could not get my irrigation man off his ass to get this blow out done and the night time temp was forecast to be 10 degrees. I went to the clients house and was going to drain down the inside plumbing and the irrigation guy was going to be there for a blow out the following day. The drain his plumber put in was a copper stub with a plug. It took all I had with 2 cresent wrenches to break this plug loose and i think I twisted the copper a little. Is this a goofball drain? Every other inside drain I've ever seen has been a gate valve, including to one at my house. Give me your thoughts, Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

my own experiences say that there is nothing uncommom with the way it was set-up.

I am assuming you are talking about the drain inside the house between the hookup to the main water supply and the backflow on the outside of the house.

I would say the reason for the plug type is simple....cost....cheaper than putting in a gate valve. No other reason. I agree, and would say a valve of some sort would be easier, but some guys will try to cut every corner they can.