Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do landscape installations, just maintenance for the time being until I can gain the necessary knowledge and skills. My signs and business cards do not have landscaping anywhere on them and I don't pretend or imply that I'm a landscaper.

I have had people ask me to do landscape work and I tell them that I only do maintenance right now. I'm not implying that you have to have a degree to be a landscaper. There are plenty of self taught people out there and people who have worked for or under someone qualified to do the work. I'm talking about the people who put landscape design and installations on their truck and trailer and on their business cards that really don't have the experience or the training or the background but yet they call themselves landscapers.

Buy a truck and trailer and a couple mowers and shovels and hey your a landscaper. How many are guilty of calling themselves landscapers just because they own some of the tools to do the job.

Hey I think I'll buy a couple of pots and pans and some knifes and call myself a chef.

Dave...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
The thing is that we all look at the industry as having a minimum threshold of legitimacy which just so happens to be defined by our own qualifications. Those of us who have started with shovels in our hands and have no degrees view those with degrees as having no practical experience. Those with the degrees view those without them as being scrubs.

The fact of the matter is that if someone is buying your services, you are legitimate. Whoever you are losing jobs to are legitimate competition. Those who you can not take work from are apparently ahead of you or you would get the jobs.

It is a diverse industry and there are lots of niches within it that require less knowledge and experience and lots that require more. We don't decide that, the consumers do. It is what it is.
Embroider the above into your skulls!!! That is so right on!!

In case your wondering about my qualifications, I was born and raised on a general stock nursery and have 27 full time years of repiticious Landscape Design, Installation and Maintenance behind me and i will never.... ever....... know it all! I am a new member this year on LS, there is lots of fact and fiction here. What i have found is that we are all here not just to make a buck, but to learn and grow with a chosen profession that we all enjoy. There are no useless threads or information here!! Everything usually works its self out. The fact that you just read this post means that you care to.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I am definitely not qualified. Good thing I don't do landscape designs, I usually just wing it when I am at the jobsite. But at least I lowball so the customers don't give a crap.
Yeah like he said!! ME too!!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Whether you guys mean in or not(I hope you are kidding) I have found that there are alot of very wealthy people who will overlook piss poor-installs because of a low price. There was a scrub doing paver work on one of the wealthier streets where we work, who managed to work his way right down the street, butchering job after job. I would cringe every time I drove down the street because it was like a how-to course in what not to do, yet he managed to keep working. Three months later his work is showing bad settling, undulations, and none his wall work was set correctly to begin with.
All in all, this reflects bad on the industry. I know for a fact that these people are going to pissed of at me, or whoever gives them a quote on removing and re-setting everything and the installer is probally already out of business.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
How many of you guys are actual experienced and trained landscapers and designers and how many are full of it.
I'm full of it ....
However, I wouldn't try to be something I'm not. Designing landscapes etc is nothing I'd want to tackle with no experience ..

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1 View Post
Embroider the above into your skulls!!! That is so right on!!

In case your wondering about my qualifications, I was born and raised on a general stock nursery and have 27 full time years of repiticious Landscape Design, Installation and Maintenance behind me and i will never.... ever....... know it all! I am a new member this year on LS, there is lots of fact and fiction here. What i have found is that we are all here not just to make a buck, but to learn and grow with a chosen profession that we all enjoy. There are no useless threads or information here!! Everything usually works its self out. The fact that you just read this post means that you care to.

right on the money
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you guys have made experience by doing things you had not done before, but were not way over your head. Each time you gained more to apply to the next more involved job. A lot of this stuff is pretty basic. If you have been trimming shrubs and maintaining gardens for ten years I would think you know what they are, how fast they grow, which do well, and under what conditions they do best.

You can look up hardiness zones in books all day long, but some plants have very unique problems in certain regions and don't in others. You won't get that in a book.

On the other hand, the more you can learn from books, teachers, and others that you can combine with practical experience, the better off you'll be. That works whether you have the experience up front or the education up front.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As it applies to who exactly is posting here, I think it's a valid question. It's an online forum- I could post on here saying I'm a former playboy bunny who discovered she was a talented mason, and how would anyone verify that?

As far as the guys you see driving around, that's hard to quantify because there really are no universally recognized standards for what to call yourself. Most states have laws governing whether or not you can use the term "landscape architect," but I don't know of any that have practice acts regarding landscape designers. I would think, though, that the unqualified ones would be easy pickings, as long as *you* know what you're doing.

Anyhow, to answer your question- I do this all day, every day, and have been in the industry for fifteen years.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just put landscape in my name. i dont know anything about plants, or dirt or anything. i barely know how to put em in the ground! i just wing it and charge people $20,000 to do it. ha!

I think the people who put landscape in their name, hope to eventually learn, but if they are charging for good landscapes and have no idea what their doin? then thats bad... i hope there are people in this industry who are honest about what they know and what they can do. altho there was one company in town a while back that all the sudden put landscape in their name. i saw them working on a project in a pretty nice neighborhood so i kept a watch. one week in it looked like crap, a couple days later their sign was gone and one of the bigger companies in town was there. bottom line if you dont know what your doing, learn on your own house! not someone paying thousands of dollars!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say 80-90% of the small guys in my area (and they are all almost small guys) have no clue as to what they are doing, or knew 20 years ago, and haven't learned a thing since. Case in point one the older companies that has a lot of municipal contracts etc, LOVES putting alpine currents (Ribes alpinum) everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in school for this, and even when I'm dont I won't know but 10% of the business, but I'm pretty sure I'll have a better handle then a lot of guys.