Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

great Joey. Glad to provide feedback for someone willing to listen and make the changes.

While your at it we want about 12 inches of wiring compartment space but dont make the cabinets bigger

I know the perfect transformer layout is out there and will crush the market if it can be produced at a reasonable cost.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joey, I like the looks of a single larger conduit coming into a transformer. The units I use have a 1 1/4" KO for a nice clean look.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here Paul. I have always used the larger KO for the beefier look and ease of pulling wire. I mentioned earlier I just wish the transformer plug was a 90 degree version for ease and better look under the outlet cover.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

same for me. We always use the 1 1/4 and have plenty of room. I think Cast has even gone to 1 1/2 on the newer big boys and include the conduit... nipple and lockring with it.

90 degree cords would be slick in most cases but what if you have something else plugged in there too ? we often plug in with the irrigation timer or have 2 600's plugged in together.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem with using a 90 deg. plug at the end of the transformer supply wire is that these tend to block the second outlet of the receptacle. This is especially problematic when you are using 'weatherproof while in use covers' which tend to limit access to the receptacle.

Unless the receptacle is dedicated to supply the transformer with power, this can be a problem.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya guys I see what you are saying especially with the deeper in-use covers. OK then how about a 45 degree cord?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really do appreiate the feedback. I am cutting and pasting your feedback into an email to my PE as we speak. I would love to see a larger knockout as well. Oh and byt he way I amde a mistake yesterday. When reading my response I had a brain fart and meant to tell you guys our new units will accept up to 1" conduit. We have always been 1/2" and 3/4" now we will be 3/4" and 1" on all units.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

your transformers seem rather compact compared to some Joey... Why cant we just make it a bit bigger to include all these. I think when a manu brings the perfect contractor inpired trans to the market (nates been a manu too long to qualify) he will make a ton of em. The Iforce is a very innovative idea.

On another note.. . the vented cans may not fly to well here. We have some nasty wasps and dirt dobbers that would love to nest in there.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The occasional bug nest occurs on all units vented or not. I think it is ineveitable to have a bug cozy up to the warm unit.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
your transformers seem rather compact compared to some Joey... Why cant we just make it a bit bigger to include all these. I think when a manu brings the perfect contractor inpired trans to the market (nates been a manu too long to qualify) he will make a ton of em. The Iforce is a very innovative idea.

On another note.. . the vented cans may not fly to well here. We have some nasty wasps and dirt dobbers that would love to nest in there.
Transformers are in the ice ages. When will someone step up and do the right thing?