Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2001, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always lean towards rebuilding. Especially if you have the ability to do it. You get the opportunity to make a few upgrades for power also. :blob3:
Old 12-24-2001, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

A rebuilt engine is only as good as the mechanic that does the job. Good mechanics will accurately measure all wear surfaces to determine what needs to be replaced. Some people have bad experiences when a they just replaces rings and expect the engine to give as good a service as it did when it was new. I like to think of a repair a little like the saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. An engine that has been rebuilt poorly will only last until the worn part that should have been replaced gives out. If you donít have the skill to do the job properly it might be best to give to a reputable mechanicís shop to fix. That way you should get a warranty. Also ask around and checkout the shop's rep before giving them the job. Just because they are in business to service your equipment does not necessarily mean they have the skills.

If you are a somewhat competent mechanic, order a service manual with the spec's inside. The can be gotten form the OEM or by an aftermarket manual company. Be sure to be careful, go by their recommended procedures and donít try to pinch a few pennies by not replacing all worn parts. Be sure to clean the engine thoroughly with hot soap and water before reassembly. If you are a little unsure of you skills you may want to enroll in to a night tech course. There are offered in most areas.

As far as the parts go you may want to use aftermarket parts we routinely use them in our shop and have found them to give satisfactory fit and service. We happen to use Stens products as they have a one-year warranty, which is longer, then most OEMís. But before using any part, OEM or aftermarket, be sure to inspect and be sure that it matches the part being replaced.

Good Luck on you engine!

http://www.jsesc.com
Old 12-24-2001, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: why not short block and save alot of time and the possibility of dmissing something during the rebuild. T
Old 12-26-2001, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Installing a short block is a great repair if you don't have the expertise, especially on the lower cost engines.

On any rebuild I suggest that the cost and benefits be weighed between rebuilding, short blocking and replacement of the engine. You also have to consider the time factor, how soon does it have to get back to work and what is it costing for each day its down!
Old 12-26-2001, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rebuild or not to rebuild

Kawi does not sell shortblocks.as it would be the way to go,I have not seen any internal engine parts nor gaskets aftermarket,If it just smoke I would say hone it and ring it,I believe your best bet would buy a new motor unless you are going to use it as a back up only,To rebuild it ,the crank should be cutto 10 under 50.00 ,10 under rod 70.00,bore it 40.00
oversize piston and rings probally 100.00,cut the valve seats 20.00,gasket set 75.00.you will have to clean it lapped the valves ,etc,and you still end up with a motor that the crank ballancer has not been changed and haved been known to fail,thus cracking the block also you have the old carb with thottle shaft play ,a rewind assy that is old ,no warrenty or 30 days ,new motor 2 years,but like I said if its only a backup ,I would re ring it and take my chances