Register free!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kirk,
Those are some great points you make about the motion sensors. I have often considered using a MS device for some of the same reasons you mention in your post, however as stated by yourself and others, there just isn't any good hardware out there. I wish there was. I Don't know if I would incorporate one on every job, but there is definitely a use for them.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
I can see a use for LV motion. A long driveway that may look like a runway when lit all the time, but would benefit from lighting when folks are traveling on it, especially those unfamiliar or in bad weather. Perhaps an area rarely used, but would again be nice of lit when folks were venturing out that way. How about some additional lighting on a walkway that would appear over lit if lighted all the time, but makes it safer and more secure when there is activity.

Joey, I think the idea has great merit, but according to some observations needs some serious fine tuning or research. Perhaps something Unique sees a possible need for. I can think of many advantages for motion sensing lights from a design standpoint, but would need to see proven reliability.

Kirk
When in doubt about a product test it out on a safe house first yourself. Such tests could take a yr or more and still not be complete but it may give enough piece of mind to allow you to install it in more yards. All the messages including mine are not definitive on this unit in question. Somebody said they installed it and it wasn't successful. Hardly a reason to discard it over somebody's else's claim and it was only 1 unit they claimed to install and it didn't look like the picture posted (perhaps they improved it). The only way to know for sure is to buy 1 and test it yourself. If there were 20 guys posting here about failures and they were credible perhaps it's time to listen. Otherwise it's not fair to your self , your customer or the manufacturer to discard it on the word of someone who might have tested 1 and had a bad experience. It's almost as unfair as boycotting a manufacturer because they have the audacity to not join an association or make a donation to your favorite charity. In addition Who knows perhaps that person who tested it was a jug head and didn't know what he was doing or has some predisposed slant towards one particular brand which may cloud and bias her judgement of others. (said hypothetically of course)
Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was in Beverley Hills, I'd love to see a long drive with a motion sensor lv all along the drive, with only a 5 seconds "on" time, in front of the sensor. Then paths doing the same as you walk up to the entrance. That would look awesome. Thinks me. But maybe only for Steven Speilberg.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have mentioned the pathway affect for motion sensors in the past. Path lights that only light walks make sense to me. If the only purpose to light paths is for foot traffic, then only lighting them when folks actually use them would extend bulb life by a power of ten. since folks sometimes use paths also to show off plants, that may not always work.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can only see a limited application for this technique and control. Generally walking paths through the landscape are much more then just conduits for foot traffic, they are also form the sight lines into the landscape. This is especially true on large lots that are rugged and forested.

Lighting the paths that cross the landscape and travel into it becomes necessary in order to create depth and views from the residence and outdoor living areas located near the buildings. Besides, I wouldn't really think 'flashing' lights would be that nice what with all the critters setting the detectors off.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

James. I find most "professionally" lit landscapes are way over lit. The use of motion sensors allows enough light to provide safety and security, without taking away from the aesthetics. As with every technique, there is a time and a place for the best application. I would look at a well designed 12 volt motion sensor as another tool to facilitate the installation of a well thought out, lighting design.

Pete, thanks for the advice. I usually try to get the good, the bad and the ugly about any subject or product, than test and make my own decisions. I use a driveway sensor that has very few false alarms but rarely fails to signal a person or vehicle. So combining this technology with low voltage lighting is only some research and marketing away.

Maybe this has more to do with why we are lighting an area and for whom. If the area is on display from the road, it should be bright and on all the time, but if it is an area for a more intimate encounter, the light should reflect that. I like the idea of scene lighting, it gives the landscape a sense of theater, but still addresses safety and security.

Kirk
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
James. I find most "professionally" lit landscapes are way over lit. The use of motion sensors allows enough light to provide safety and security, without taking away from the aesthetics. As with every technique, there is a time and a place for the best application. I would look at a well designed 12 volt motion sensor as another tool to facilitate the installation of a well thought out, lighting design.

Pete, thanks for the advice. I usually try to get the good, the bad and the ugly about any subject or product, than test and make my own decisions. I use a driveway sensor that has very few false alarms but rarely fails to signal a person or vehicle. So combining this technology with low voltage lighting is only some research and marketing away.

Maybe this has more to do with why we are lighting an area and for whom. If the area is on display from the road, it should be bright and on all the time, but if it is an area for a more intimate encounter, the light should reflect that. I like the idea of scene lighting, it gives the landscape a sense of theater, but still addresses safety and security.

Kirk
I have a tendency to agree with this. There are some alterior motives and special agendas being put forth in some of the posts on this bd. Everyone has their own opinion and some are really slanted towards favoring a particular brand or just the opposite against them. I have no hidden financial interest or anything to gain with my posts. My customer is the property owner. I'm not a distributor or a manufacturer. But you've got a few under the cloak of darkness who wear a couple a hats here and that's a different story altogether.