Register free!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would side light those colums. One light on each side VS. lighting them strait in front. Much easier to mount by doing that and would still create a nice effect. You could flush mount Comets right in to the beam.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

These are some great suggestions guys. The beam you are looking at is steel and not wood, just so you know.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Side Light those bad boys!! Steel Beam will be just as easy to mount to.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My other option is to uplight the columns and catch a good portion of the crossbeam. I prefer to do this but I would have to get permission to remove some grasses in front of the columns. Don't you think I would get a better effect this way?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love uplit columns. We actually mounted some Probe OSM fixtures to the columns base on one job that had the columns running into concrete. The downside to uplighting is you lose some of the area light that down lighting will give you. Both effects up or down look good but i still think side lighting the columns weather up or down will look better. Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will go out and demo the side lighting on those columns and take a look at it. The columns with the dome are definitely going to have lights mounted on top to light up the caps and fountains below. I will also have uplight on the interior of the domes to catch all of the metal up there too. so between uplighting the domes and downlight or crosslighting the surrounding columns it should spread the light out pretty well.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The picture here illustrates how we lit the dome at "The Unique Test Home". This was done prior to the columns being formed around the wood beams. We piggy backed 2 Strat Brackets and mounted Probe-OSM fixtures.

This pic below shows the effect the dome has with one up and down light placed at each column. Notice the effect we created by only lighting the interior of the column and dome. To the right you can see how the other columns are being uplit with fixtures mounted at the base. This gives the arbor above a nice look.

This picture shows a job that has 2 Quasar 1 (we did not have Probe OSM back when this job was done) mounted to each column to uplight them and also back light the sheet waterfall.

I always like a picture to show an effect. I wish I had some better side lit column pictures to show.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow Joey, I had no idea the light shining inside the dome was mounted that high. I guess that makes sense though given the high degree of reflection on the iron. I had assumed the uplights for the dome were ground mounted inside and washing the iron above. You are probably not going to get it that bright lighting from below on the concrete though. Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot seeing the setup.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
I would side light those colums. One light on each side VS. lighting them strait in front. Much easier to mount by doing that and would still create a nice effect. You could flush mount Comets right in to the beam.
didnt i just say side light em with a recessed small fixture ? comets would work or another small fixture. not in the beams tho.... do it in the corners of the pillar finale

Uplighting would work well here too. Move the grasses out a bit but rememeber... grasses and lighting equal maint nightmare so consider a small shroud of copper sheet metal to keep the grasses out of your beams.