Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2000, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone;<p>Interesting subject. I am surprised that people apply any pesticide without a license. To me the risks are far greater than the rewards (money). The client puts a lot of faith in your abilities and the service you provide. To spray without a license and be caught could have a tremendous negative effect on your business and its reputation which you have worked so hard to get. Why would anyone risk there reputation and integrity just because they want to make a point or do not want to fork out the money or time to write the exam. I would pay this money in a heart beat than risk these things. Applying pesticides is not rocket science by any means but you must have the proper education in order to apply these under the proper procedures. It is hard to know how much you are putting down without calibrating your sprayer. It is hard to know what the label means if have not been educated in reading a label. It is hard to know what to do in case of a spill if you have not been educated in what to do. These are questions that can be answered by writing a exam. Now to most these questions are simple but to a few this could cause problems. A pesticide license may be a money graber but I think it is more. This helps guard the safety of the public. Do you want to be driving behind a transport truck driver that doesn't have the proper training and license. I don't. Chemicals can be bad for the environment if not properly used. In Canada, quidelines for registering a chemical are very strict. For example; MERIT was just registered in Ontario. MERIT has been in use in US for along time. We up in the North do not have the luxury of all the different chemicals available. Is this bad or good I do not know. But as chemical applicators it is our duty to try practice IPM. We owe it to our clients and to the environment. Does a pesticide license make you more professional. It may or may not. However; it gives your business crediblity to the public and to your customer. If you are applying pesticides you owe it to your customers to have a license. <p>Dave
Old 01-27-2000, 03:49 PM

In South carolina a couple of weeks ago we had a bird kill. Around 100 black birds fell out of the sky in one yard. Most were dead before they hit the ground. An analysis of the birds showed they were poisoned. This made international news. I think they believe it was pesticide. I haven't heard what they found out. Or if they found out who did it. Maybe someone on here knows. They really had a chemical headache. but it had to be widspread in someones yard they said.
Old 01-27-2000, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hi dkechnie, I'm from Ontario, I just got my pesticide info in the mail fron University of Guelph. It's a lot more pricy than I thought it would be. There is 18 different categories each costs $130 min. then $200 to MOE then $90 for 3 years. All this for maybe 10 lawns, the other other licenced guy near me also cuts lawns so I don't want to get him to spray for me. I don't want to get into the spraying business but we have a big problem with dandelions here. All I spray is Killex and a little Round up around trees, both can be bought without a licence. I am pricing three big jobs and they will all want spraying done, I'm going to have to get the licence if I want the jobs. Which of the categories do you have? I'm thinking LANDSCAPE and the AGRICULTURE ones. I have a 4 wheeler and am thinking about wicking of milk weed in crops with it so I will need the AG one too.