Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
hehe. Thanks for the update. I was looking forward to getting my hands on some kind of box that was going to make me happy......

I read way to deep into this statement........LOL BOX
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think your the only one who got the joke!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

reminds me of the blank in the box skit on SNL.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

HID does't mean to bright, HID means and equels better Lumens per watt with a more spread out light pattern alowing the light to intersec and provide a larger, cohisive,connecting light on the ground which elimnates the darknes between the fixtues which I think will be hard to get with low voltage incandesent. That's my intent here anyway..............Which is probly why a demo is the ticket............... The other fact with HID is you will not have a VD problem. Which more than likely you will with a 12 volt system. Which is why I brought up 24 volts before. So if you demo with 12 volts fixtures make sure you duplacate the wiring method you a forced to use. I can't tell you how many time I have seen this fundamental mistake. Demo with 12 volts but then get 8 volts to the lamp. Anyway here to good lighting
Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
HID does't mean to bright, HID means and equels better Lumens per watt with a more spread out light pattern alowing the light to intersec and provide a larger, cohisive,connecting light on the ground which elimnates the darknes between the fixtues which I think will be hard to get with low voltage incandesent. That's my intent here anyway..............Which is probly why a demo is the ticket............... The other fact with HID is you will not have a VD problem. Which more than likely you will with a 12 volt system. Which is why I brought up 24 volts before. So if you demo with 12 volts fixtures make sure you duplacate the wiring method you a forced to use. I can't tell you how many time I have seen this fundamental mistake. Demo with 12 volts but then get 8 volts to the lamp. Anyway here to good lighting
Mr. Mullen what is your opinion on this. I notice on commercial properties that have these huge jumbo 120v fixtures. The soft wide flood effect is so much more prevalent than with 12 volt lighting. It would take on average 3 to 4 LV fixtures to attempt to replicate what 1 of these lights does. I'm not talking about brightness but more coverage on what's being lighted, the width of the beam so to speak. Is it because of the width of the opening on the fixture , type of lamp, configuration of the fixture? Thank you for your time.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Mr. Mullen what is your opinion on this. I notice on commercial properties that have these huge jumbo 120v fixtures. The soft wide flood effect is so much more prevalent than with 12 volt lighting. It would take on average 3 to 4 LV fixtures to attempt to replicate what 1 of these lights does. I'm not talking about brightness but more coverage on what's being lighted, the width of the beam so to speak. Is it because of the width of the opening on the fixture , type of lamp, configuration of the fixture? Thank you for your time.
Low voltage lighting is great for artist lighting............Landscape. Entry's, and a lot of other areas............For controlled beam spread and level of light. When you have a situation that calls for even foot-candles or higher levels of light NOT ARTIST HERE............. Parking lots. Tunnels, High traffic areas, streets and a lot of other places. it usually is more efficient to use a HID fixture more Lumen's per watt. A typical MR16 lamp (incandescent Halogen) is somewhere between 12 to 15 Lumen's per watt. Voltage really has nothing to so with this. It just that there are no 12 volt HID yet for landscape lighting ...............I'M working on that......... HID lamps are somewhere between 50 and 75 Lumen's per watt. Then combined with a reflector equals vary good light out put. FYI if I remember right ...it something like 100 percent of energy consumed in a incandescent only 10 percent is converted to light. Anyway just a quick response, these are deep subjects lots of variables...........got to go, Thanks, Nate
Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FYI I think there is now a MH 12v MR16 on the market. I can't remember who puts it our right now but I'll get back to you on that.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Paul. Here is the info on the GE Constant Colour CMH Lamp. They call it an MR16 but it has a GU10 base and is not a LV unit.

http://www.gelighting.com/eu/resourc...HMR16Flyer.pdf

I would be very interested in finding out more about any LV HID Lamp (how would it be ballasted at 12V?) ... Please keep me in the loop.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA