Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2001, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

LoneStarLawn,
Since my last reply, I have requested a demo from LM. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Software better than Quickbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Landscaping
I am brand new to this forum.....really good stuff on here. I am just getting back into the business(long story, read my profile), and need some software that my accountant can use as well as me. I have heard about Groundskeeper Pro, but am wondering if it is any good. Please give feedback, and thank you ahead of time.

P.S. I am currently seeking a business partner in the Rock Hill, SC area. Please contact me if you are interested by e-mail.
Barefoot,

As far as accounting, if you want something your accountant can use also, Quickbooks or Peachtree is probably your best bet. Most accountants are now using Quickbooks because so many small businesses are using it. If you use a market specific software (designed specifically for the industry), your accountant would probably need to purchase a copy to legally use the software. With expensive software, that is not economically feasible.

With the new Quickbooks 2002 which is just coming out, data can be accessed remotely over the internet (I have just read about this feature and have not actually tested it). For this to work, your accountant has to have a version of QB 2002 and you have to have QB 2002. The first year of remote access is free with the software and after that there is a fee.

This should be a great capability. Your accountant could work on your live data file, rather than a backup copy which would then have to be updated to your machine after he makes changes.

Another option is for your accountant to come to your office to work on your system if you use an industry specific software.

Quickbooks should work fine for accounting, you just need to decide if you need additional features that aren't available in QB.

If you have an accountant now it might be worth taking the time to talk to them before purchasing software and possibly having them look at software you are considering.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If you decide on QB you will want to look at QBExpress. You will need some type of scheduling program. I decided on LM a year ago and rate that my best investment for 2001. Customer support is great with LM.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have Groundskeeper pro 2000 and by no means does it compair to LM or Clip. It is basic and easy to use, but the accounting is ok and the payroll deductions must be manualy entered.

I only use it for routing and scheduling, Quick Books for the rest.

I will soon be switching to LM with the QB link. It will do what I want and what I need.

As far as Clip, very expensive for my needs. The version I need is $3000.

I also looked at Real Green, out of my ball bark at $4,700 and I would need multi user $7,200, way out. I'll do it the way I am for that much.

Also yall forgot one Gopher98.

Good luck in your quest