Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2001, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Topics for Newsletters

Last year we sent out a newsletter at the end of February to all of our customers.

A few topics I touched upon were the benefits of aerations, the benefits of watering heavily at infrequent intervals, proper mowing procedures, and then a little about us.

I'm looking for some new ideas/topics that I can talk about for this year. Not looking to plagarize, just looking for generalities.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2001, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MajorTom,

Ground control here. We simply place reminders at the bottom of each invoice to let our clients know which service is up and coming for the next month. You could do a small letter on this. For example over the winter, send letters out talking about benefit of a fertilization program. Follow up w/ letter on benefits of mulching, spring aeration, etc. next a letter on an anual program, pruning, fall seeding/planting, the list goes on.

As far as a more formal newsletter, there is a company who offers this service. It is a little expensive and I can't remember who they are, but heir letters do look great. They generally contact me 4 times or so per year in a mailing. Anyone else know who they are, or remember their name??

Bob
Old 12-27-2001, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a newsletter also, just started again. We have over 3000 people we mail it to, that's why I stopped before. But, the repeat business isn't what it should be so I thought I would start again, I'd be glad to email you acopy of it. It is done in Microsoft Publisher so if your system supports that, email me and let me know you want it.

The name of the company that I know of that does newsletters is focal point communications.......VERY EXPENSIVE TO DO A CUSTOM LETTER.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a the newsletter is a good idea. I put a short listing of additional services on the bottom of maint invoices every month and it seems my customers never even notice it. I'll be doing a job at a nearby house and they'll come by and say "oh I didn't know you install patios".
Old 12-29-2001, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a great idea and will keep your name fresh in the customers minds.
The topics are endless .... go with whatever task is coming up in the garden.
We are also retail so seminars , workshops and events go on almost weekly. These are very popular with some completely filling the parking lot, while others may only get a handful of people.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I do is offer a referral program at this time.
If they refer one customer who signs up for 5 applications, they get one free. Something they can actively do in the winter.

I would think that most people want to just forget about the lawn and all the money they spent, so mentioning extra services
seems like a sort of turn off.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jodi

My news letter includes thing that should be done in the following month like which shurbs should be trimmed this month. When to fert and if there is a dease or insect problem that is going around or more present this time of year. Also advise customer on watering each and every monthly news letter. turn it up or down or off. I use my news letter to sell up grades in a low pressure way. I also offer coupons for services that should be performed at that time of year. Like aeration or Sprinkler tune up before dry season etc. I hopes this helps.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seasonal tips are what we focus on.We send this out to one community where we focus our attentions.When you know the mulch is looking bad or the chickweed has emerged pose a question about it.It's easy for them to go out in their yard and look,sure enough they have it and in most cases you have a chance for a positive contact with your potential customer.In your slow period offer a Free ph test, give them a reason to contact you.Once you make the contact it's up to you to close them.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

In our business and system we use carbon less leave behind. These are left at EVERY account after EVERY service. That's at least 4 times per month for maintenance and mowing customers.

On the leave behind we have listings that indicate the services we performed at the property, and a listing of all the ohter services we provide as well. These have to be returned to the supervisor as well.

We also have a quality form we send out with EVERY BILLING. The clients in our system see a mininmum communication from us of no less than 5 times a month.

Makes quality control real easy.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR