Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2000, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My Lesco spreader is about 5 years old and I think it is time for a new one. Should I go get another Lesco or is there a better choice?
Old 01-24-2000, 02:26 AM
Banned

I have used the scotts pro series very good<br>new one is sr 2000
Old 01-24-2000, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keith, go to www.spyker.com and check out their selection. Lynn
Old 01-24-2000, 10:30 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Give the lesco 12vt model that attaches to<br>the front of a wb or ztr machine a look. I think they<br>sell for about $350. You will need to find<br>someone locally that can fab a mount so<br>you can add/remove from your machine with<br>pins or buy a jrco bar and modify the spreader to fit the Jrco bar. Any W-B with an alternator and<br>a floating deck is a good platform.
Old 01-24-2000, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

check out this link..i like you, are in the market for a good spreader and this looks like the one i'm going for..http://www.psbcompany.com/spreaders.htm<br>
Old 01-24-2000, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah stick with Lesco, because i think that they look better then the other ones out in the market.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We sell and use the PSB Bigfoot HVO. It works pretty well, and even with 80-100 # of product its well balanced. We also sell and use the Scotts professional line. They are top quality, and well constructed too. We used to use Lescos but no more. Earthway has some commmercial spreaders too. We let customers try them before they buy so they can get a feel. Check the options and go for stainless if you can. The Bigfoot (HVO - high volume output) has an optional super big opening for penn mulch type products. We use it quite often (also good for seed, icemelt, and other pelletized products).<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 01-25-2000, 07:22 AM
jeffclc

If you guys purchase a spreader from a company other than the one you oruchase your material from, how do you calibrate it? I know that the proper way is to use a tarp, measure your material over a given area, and figure the math from there, but that is time consuming.<p>Using Lesco for example, their material has the settings for a Lesco spreader right on the bag, and a quick adjustment and you are ready to start spreading.<p>If you use other manafacturers spreaders, you can calibrate it for the basics that you use, but what about the lawn that gets a different treatment? Seems like it would be more trouble than it is worth to go through the calibration for one bag of material.<p>Manafacturers take heed- Make a standard for all materials and spreaders. Make it simple for us to use. <p>I have found this to be true on both the professional level, and also on the homeowner level.
Old 01-25-2000, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jeffclc, are you aware that a Lesco over a year old deposits a heavy band of any product 2 feet right of center. We found this in trying to calibrate one in '98 and a golf magazine printed the same criticism late that summer. Last spring Lesco came out with a retro kit, change in gearing, that is supposed to correct the problem. If you don't calibrate yourself, you don't know if what you're buying is correct. Also machines wear and flow can change with age.<p>Keith, if you have to change flow settings frequently, the Spyker seems to have the simplest mechanism for that. Can change quickly to half rate along walks & curbs with deflector down and back to full rate. However the spread deflector is a nuisance to change if you need to switch between products of different densities. Look at changing the various settings on each brand, in the perspective of your business. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-25-2000, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the responses, I will take a look at all of these and try to figure out the best choice. <br>