Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco spreader. Need help w/ impeller replacement.

Anyone know how to remove the old impeller? Any tips?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

You first need to remove the cotter pin on the idler wheel and lossen the set screws on the axle collars. You will also have to remove any roll pins on the axle (depending on the model). Next you should be able to pull the drive wheel to make the axle slide out, make sure you push the gears so they do not bend or break. Once the gears are free of the axle, you can then pull the impeller shaft out and replace the necessary parts. Make sure to take note of the order you took parts off and reverse it to re-assemble. I have always been better at taking them apart than putting them back together!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You will have to take it apart like you are replacing the gears. Pull one of the wheels off, loosen everything up, etc...Once you have done that the shaft that holds the impeller should drop down as well. There is a roll pin that holds the impeller to the shaft. Depending on the age and condition of your spreader it may just look like a little hole but there is at least what's left of a roll pin in there. You will have to drive it out with a hammer and punch, nail or something that can get in that hole Once you've done that the old impleller should come off the shaft. Replace with new impeller and roll pin. put all the gear assembly back in place. Tighten everything up. Replace the wheel and you're good to go.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Henry,
while you are doing PMS on your machine this winter do your self a favior and strip down what you can and coat everything with never sieze, every nut, bolt, wheel hubs anything that moves. Trust me on this one it will save you a ton of money and time in the end, and yes I am speaking from experience.
My machine is also washed down and sprayed with WD 40 and silicone every Friday durring application time (that was for the guy who is going to say "well if you washed down the machine and took car of it you would'nt have to do that). I have basically replaced everything on my HPS this last year because of corrosion, so if you need advice PM me.

"Either your Boatswain Mate or you work for one"
Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

impeller replacement.

Or...Punch out the roll pin with a drift or nail. Remove the bolts that hold the green plastic hopper. Lift it up and the top of the impeller shaft drops out. Lube the bearings. Slide on the new impeller, and pin. (Cover pin with tape to reduce rust.) Reassemble.

On the other hand, during the busy season, you can repair the impeller. Just glue on pieces of plastic cut to shape. Use small screws if needed.