Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pasture Grass

Ask your Fert Salesman about "Bridge Products" They are Fertilizer blends made up of both Organic and Synthetic products and don't have that bad of a smell. They are in fact the best of both worlds.

Here on my Calcareous Sandy Soil, organic fertilizer material helps add SOM to increase CEC, Field Capacity and Hydraulic conductivity of our soil. Organic material also lowers pH and helps to reduce Bulk Density of our soil.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boats47 View Post
No the overall turf it's self. I can't help but think that because the lawn had always been synthetically treated it became dependent on it and switching to organic it was starved for the NPK.
Probably right. I push soil tests on new customers that switch over after prolonged synthetic use. A lot of the soil biology might have been gone, and going from feeding the plant to feeding the soil might have detrimental effects.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet View Post
I'd be intersted in that. MESA is a fabulous product here for our turf and soils. Blended with biosolids (chicken or sewage?). . . that would be a heckuva selling point for me. What's the analysis and/or part number? I'd like to look it up and talk to my supplier.
I know, I'm in love with MESA now too. This specific product is a sewage product, 50/50 sewage, MESA, but they have several blends, including a poultry product. Here's a link to the Lebanon site, type in "organic" in the top left corner search box.

http://www.lebturf.com/
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our favorite organic fertlizers have been "liquid" -- CarboTech (features humic acid, but it clogged up our screens & guns) and AgroCulture (synthetic-organic, but it caused tip burn). But neither smelled bad, and the cost was feasible.

All granular natural organics we have tried: smelled bad, absorbed moisture, and were too expensive. I realize the importance of feeding the soil (not the plant) is good, but should these products be incorporated into the soil somehow? Or do they eventually work into the soil profile?

AgroCulture also offers up to eight (liquid) micronutrients. These are most applicable for high pH soil lawns, and we still use them in our program. BTW I have not found any natural organic dry product that offers that many micronutrients.

rscvp, thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bradfield Organics has a pelletized alfalfa blend product that is in #50 bags and seems to be a good product. No smell and all of the Carb's and NPK an organic lawn could need.
Their other alfalfa product was an alfalfa meal and was so light you could not spread it,. this pelletized stuff seems a lot better.
They have been around for about 10 years but I believe they got bought out by Land O lake purina this time last year

I don't know how cost effective they are though I'll call around and see what it costs.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bridge products r nice options to have
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you ever heard of Milwalkee ? They make there own fertilizer out of surer sluge? Doesn't smell bad! Only expect the results of there fertilizer to react sloooooooooowly! Good product you may want to investigate!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStine315 View Post
I know, I'm in love with MESA now too. This specific product is a sewage product, 50/50 sewage, MESA, but they have several blends, including a poultry product. Here's a link to the Lebanon site, type in "organic" in the top left corner search box.

http://www.lebturf.com/

Thanks. Missed it at first. That 15-2-8 blend is interesting, but it's 1/2 SOP and 1/2 MOP . . . 7% chlorine content.

For the past couple of years a couple of my summer rounds have been UAP's 14-2-7 blend w/30% chicken, MU, SOP. Very good response, but again, this product stinks . . . a lot.

Wife complains every time I bring in a pallet. The dog loves it, though.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (wi) Roots View Post
Have you ever heard of Milwalkee ? They make there own fertilizer out of surer sluge? Doesn't smell bad! Only expect the results of there fertilizer to react sloooooooooowly! Good product you may want to investigate!

Yeah, I've heard of Milwaukee . . . and Milorganite. Many cities now process and and market their sewage sluge for fertilizer including Austin, Houston and I believe, San Antonio TX. It smells "earthy" . . . not nearly the stench of the poultry based blends. Down here it gives a good response, but not long lasting. You'd have to fertilize monthly with the high N requirements of hybrid bermuda down here. With a 9 month growing season, the premium price per MSF of Milorganite, you need a lotta storage space and customers with deep pockets.

I graduated from UW in 1977. Lived in Madison until 1987. I miss the fried perch on Friday nights, but it's 65 here in Austin, TX.

Ya' hey 'dere, ol' buddy.