Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya Ted. My county has one of the highest per capita household incomes in the nation. I happen to drag that number down some...lol... but even a modest unimproved Cape Cod house here goes for about 400k on a 90 X 120 plot. Split levels and high ranches are 550-600, and that's in the middle class areas where I hawk my services. Everyone is a two income family, at a minimum. So, people just don't have the time to do their own mainanence and upkeep. Lots of guys hold down 2 jobs or have something else going on the side. If a family doesn't make at least 100k, they don't own a home. Property taxes alone on a standard plot run 6-7k a year. Some pay 10k. Even the rent on a two room effiency apartment in a development is about 1,100 a month.

Aside from that, I see VERY few spray trucks around here. I don't think I even saw one this past summer. The arborists have almost been put out of the spraying business because of restrictions. They do removals and prunings now, and little else. Not much they can do with hort oil and soap.

That is why I will just use mostly granular apps and backpack sprayers, and stick to this business model. The properties are small. Perfect for a small solo like me. Even these LCO's have no clue. They don't even know how to get rid of nut sedge. Once that stuff pops up this year, I will likely double my customer base, just by knocking on a few doors. I've seen otherwise beautiful lawns just overwhelemed by nut sedge. I know they are gettings apps... likely illegally from their LCO. They can't diagnose a dead rat in the street!

But, whether or not this works remains to be seen. It's really my first season. Necessity is also the mother of need, besides invention. I could be all wet with this business plan.