Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2001, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

rental question

i have to rent some equip for a job and courious if to just charge the cust for rental amount or put something n xtra for the pocket. what does everyone else do in case like this.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

extra
Old 12-26-2001, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Aside from the rental cost, there is your trip time and then I would also tack a little on. It may help with the purchasing of future equipment you don't currently own.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info, im thinking about the rental fee plus half of it since i didnt get a christmas tip.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

always mark up the equipment. you never know if you may run into a problem and need the machine another half or whole day. also you are making the arrangements for the machine, so you need to cover all your associated costs.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spread it Out

When renting equipment I try and line up several jobs for the day I rent the machine. ie: I rented a aerator for a day, I did 6 lawns + my own. I only had 3 to do, but once I started neighbors would come over and ask how much then I'd end up doing theirs also. I always rent for a day just in cases like the one explained. Next year I'll have a better idea cause the one's I did this year also told me to do it again in the spring. Who knows the neighbors that were not home and came to me the day after told me to contact them the next time I rent the machine. This way the rental cost is spread out amoung many. Depending on if you only have one job to do, I myself would charge the customer the rental fee on TOP of what I needed to complete the job in question.
Mowman
Old 12-30-2001, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Mark it up, last time I rented equipment I was there for 1 1/2 hrs, trailer was POS dump trailer. Sad part was it wasn't even right trailer. I was supposed to get on with electric brakes, I looked at it was preety sure it had surge brakes, asked was told it had electrics, long story short, right trailer(with electric brakes), was set no problems. Moron techs grabed wrong trailer.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charge what the normal going rate is for that piece of equipment with an operator. As said earlier try to line up several jobs for that piece and hustle,standin' around yakin with the guys at the rental place or on the jobsite just wastes time which is money in the long run.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

You should use the normal rate for what it would cost for a man on that unit. This will also prepare you for when you actually own a machine like it in the future. Then instead of figuring over and above rental expense you can figure over and above your costs of having the unit.
Rentals can often give you insite to preparing for the expenses of ownership.