Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2000, 02:40 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, if Exmark ever does happen to make a better mower than Dixie Chopper, I might change. <p>On the cutting tall, I should add that even on a big lawn, if it's thin, you can't cut them tall and make them look good. They have to be thick to make them look right cutting them over 3 inches.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-21-2000, 08:34 PM
Banned

these last 2 weeks in seattle have had sun a couple days a week i mowed my rye lawns to about 1.5 inches- some with a reel a bit shorter.in the summer i'm at 3 on ryes and fescues. has anyone heard about dwarf ryes?
Old 01-22-2000, 05:30 AM

I have been to Seattle a few times. I don't see how grass cutting gets done out there. I saw a lawn service company cutting grass. Having to stop reguraly and pick up wet clumps of grass. With all the rain and mist how do you guys make it? Just curious.
Old 01-22-2000, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

jnjnlc, read your post and Profile. Hello neighbor! All but one of my lawns are fescue. I have found that the same is true.... &quot;cut it high & let lie.&quot; Try to cut it as high as the owner/manager will allow. It helps build a stronger root system & keep weeds to a minimum also.As for bermuda I like it good and short.<br>We should get together and see if we could possibly help ea. other out in any way. What area are you in.<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the great information. I most likely will stick to 3 to 4 inches because the lawns turn out great and the customers are happy. <p>Lazer. Do not have an Exmark but I do have the Toro. I am going to buy gator blades soon. I just bought the Toro in December and have not mowed with it much. I am anxious for spring so I can put it to the test.<p>Thanks again to all for the great info.<p><p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 05:22 PM

I have alot of customers tell me they want it cut short during the rainy times. So the yard will have to nice cut look close to the next time I get there. They have looked at me like I am cheating them when I cut it too high.
Old 01-23-2000, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Charles, I have had similare experieinces with a few of mine. This is old school thinking because if the grass grows at the same rate, whether it is short or long, it will need cutting again to return it to that groomed appearance. If you leave it short the root system will always be shallow and close to the surface of the soil. The farther down the roots the cooler they will stay and closer to the their water source, which is in the cooler soil. Some of the older generation will be hard to convert but if you have any say in the matter, cut it high and let it lie!
Old 01-23-2000, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Charles, I have had similare experieinces with a few of mine. This is old school thinking because if the grass grows at the same rate, whether it is short or long, it will need cutting again to return it to that groomed appearance. If you leave it short the root system will always be shallow and close to the surface of the soil. The farther down the roots the cooler they will stay and closer to the their water source, which is in the cooler soil. Some of the older generation will be hard to convert but if you have any say in the matter, cut it high and let it lie!
Old 01-23-2000, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jnjnlc,<p>My experience with gator blades is:<br>They work awesome in spring and fall, but with summer mowing, they tend to cut a little &quot;stringy&quot; compared to oem blades. Toro will be offering a gator-type blade this year, but they also took the blade tip speed from 16,000 ft./min to 18,500 so that may make a difference, too.<p>