Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geez it was right there on the front page and I didn't even see it.

I'm definitely not a geologist but I vaguely recall that some of those elements are associated with lead mining. Someone else may know more about this than I do but if they are present in the products in their mineral forms they probably don't pose the same health risks as they do in their purified forms.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont know if they ship. I live a half an hour away and dont mind the drive. Give them a call and see if they would.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
Geez it was right there on the front page and I didn't even see it.

I'm definitely not a geologist but I vaguely recall that some of those elements are associated with lead mining. Someone else may know more about this than I do but if they are present in the products in their mineral forms they probably don't pose the same health risks as they do in their purified forms.
You will probably be ok with an application here and there, but prolonged application over time and the heavy metal build up can have very adverse effects on your soil.

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/monitoring..._increase.html
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're right. I'm aware of the problems of accumulation of heavy metals in the soil but that's refering to the accumulation of the processed materials like the lead in gasoline, paint, etc. Chemically they react very differently than how they are found in nature. Refined uranium is highly radioactive but is found naturally in virtually every part of the world and is harmless. Galena deposits (which may be what they are mining) are widely distributed in nature as well and we don't have huge swaths of the US devoid of life from lead, cadmium, and arsenic poisoning a result of those naturally occuring deposits.

I don't know who that company is or anything about them and have no interest in their products but I just thought it was important to mention that there may be more to the story than just, if you apply these products you're going to kill fish.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
You're right. I'm aware of the problems of accumulation of heavy metals in the soil but that's refering to the accumulation of the processed materials like the lead in gasoline, paint, etc. Chemically they react very differently than how they are found in nature. Refined uranium is highly radioactive but is found naturally in virtually every part of the world and is harmless. Galena deposits (which may be what they are mining) are widely distributed in nature as well and we don't have huge swaths of the US devoid of life from lead, cadmium, and arsenic poisoning a result of those naturally occuring deposits.

I don't know who that company is or anything about them and have no interest in their products but I just thought it was important to mention that there may be more to the story than just, if you apply these products you're going to kill fish.
I agree, and was just putting that out there.