Register free!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Any Ideas On Good Liability Insurance?

I am price shopping my liability insurance that comes due this month. Do you guys have any good suggestions? Currently I am paying about 1200 per year for 1,000,000 each occurrence limit.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am paying $1130 per year for the same thing with www.Lipca.com. They use Lloyd's of London. Very high end insurance. Or you can check out Scottsdale (part of Nationwide Ins.) but they are much more.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends how many claims you have had, the rate you are paying may very well be normal, even if all you have had is one claim.

One way or the other we pay for not just the claims but also their cost of doing business.
See that fancy building, the electricity their office consumes, the furniture, the computer, the Internet hook up, the filing cabinets and the paper, the employees wages and taxes, all of this and much more has to be paid first.
And it COSTS an Insurance company about 450-500 dollars a year to provide you with commercial liability insurance.
That's cost, we pay this before we even sign the dotted line, so to speak.
It is like they say, ONE claim and you may well never be able to afford the cost of insurance for your business again.

That having been said...
If you shop around and you have never had a claim you should easily be able to find insurance in the range of 7-800, try State Farm.

Last edited by topsites; 01-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also shopping around and have been given some great rates for a million. I did a yahoo search and entered my info. for "free" quotes and received calls quickly. Averaging 550-700. Thats based on having 1 employee (myself) and stating to the ins. co. that I don't pay myself a set salary. This decreases the premium a lot.

On a side note, my states DPR only requires a minimum of 50k insurance. Anyone else have a rediculously low requirement?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In Indiana all you have to have is 300,000 liability insurance to get your license. Sounds like you guys have it tougher that we do around here.

Everyone thinks that State Farm is expensive, but I checked quite a few places and they are by far the cheapest on my business, auto, and home owners insurance.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My first stop was State Farm... and they won't even insure landscapers here! But, they did refer me, and I ended up with Farm Family. With an apps cert, it's about a thousand, 1 mil (required by my county) liability. Only 5 k for my equipment though. That would not cover me if someone made off with my truck and trailer. But, and this is weird, Sate farm is sooo much cheaper for my truck than farm Family, like 1100 cheaper! And yes, I have a spotless license, no accidents. Over fifteen years I claimed a windshield, a side window and a CD player. Farm Family wanted 1800, no collision.

Insurance is such a rip off.