Register free!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats being applied with tank and gun procedure

I see a lot of companies using this method and whatever they are applying they are simply spraying a similar volume of a home watering hose. Are insecticides, fungicides, termiticides, etc. the more common applications with this set up or are fertilizers just as popular? It would seem that with this method, applying fertilizers "perfect" would be impossible and cause a nonuniform green to the turf. My guess is that the dilution is so high that it doesn't have to be applied perfectly? is that correct?

Obviously I am primarily a granular/herbicide spot sprayer applicator. Any info. would be helpful.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know two things --- liquid app's are more uniform than granules, and it's easier to apply "extra" along the curb where summer annuals prefer to grow.

Dry app's are faster but not as uniform. Yes -- we are guilty too.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Perfection is the goal...but never possible. Technique is everything with a hose. What I was told and how I was trained almost 20 yrs ago was that when spraying with a hose ,more product goes straight in front of you than to either side. For this reason you have to overlap. The same as you do with a broadcast spreader.Spray back to your last pass footprints or hose drag. Walk in straight lines. Give an extra half pass on curbs, driveways, etc... I have seen guys that look like they are walking willy nilly around a lawn and I want to laugh...no technique. Can't be getting an even app. I hold the gun like I am shooting someone in the gut, except when trimming of course. It helps keep it off your legs and gives a much more even application. Hope this explains.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimart01 View Post
I see a lot of companies using this method and whatever they are applying they are simply spraying a similar volume of a home watering hose. Are insecticides, fungicides, termiticides, etc. the more common applications with this set up or are fertilizers just as popular? It would seem that with this method, applying fertilizers "perfect" would be impossible and cause a nonuniform green to the turf. My guess is that the dilution is so high that it doesn't have to be applied perfectly? is that correct?

Obviously I am primarily a granular/herbicide spot sprayer applicator. Any info. would be helpful.
The nice thing about a hose and gun is that it is extremely versatile. You can do everything you mentioned above. All in one tank mix if you like(barring label restrictions, of course) The only problem with fertilizing with it is once temps reach 80 degrees or so you have to start fertilizing with a granular. Otherwise you will take the chance of burning the lawn. You can't get the same rate of fertilizer out on a lawn in the liquid form without burn.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a dumb question: When you guys do liquid ferts, is the sulfur coated urea still coated? Can you still use slow release formulas, or does the SCU rating go down?

I have no plans on going to a straight spray operation either, my properties are small, and granular with backpacks and 32 oz atomizers are fine for me. 2 to 4k sized plots. But, I was wondering about this too.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

so to answer my question, Lets say im spraying some fertilizer and pre m. and I have to sneeze and forget to let go of the trigger and I spray a much higher amount in a single location. Do i have to worry about coming back a week or two later and seeing that particular spot taller and greener than the remainder of the turf? Or does that depend on the amount of nitrogen? thanks guys.

also, anyone ever use a manual walkbehind boom hooked up to a skid or backpack tank? if your not sure what im talking about, picture a measuring wheel with about a 4 foot width and about 3 nozzles on it.
I know, I know, mount a boom to a mower. Just trying to get feedback. Thinking about having days for small yards=light equipment and medium/large yards=heavier equipment.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Here's a dumb question: When you guys do liquid ferts, is the sulfur coated urea still coated? Can you still use slow release formulas, or does the SCU rating go down?

I have no plans on going to a straight spray operation either, my properties are small, and granular with backpacks and 32 oz atomizers are fine for me. 2 to 4k sized plots. But, I was wondering about this too.
Whitey

By the time you would get SCU into Liquid form, It would no longer be SCU. Urea will go into solution and sulfur will be an emulsion that must be constantly agitated. Liquid Slow release Nitrogen are in the form of Long Chain Bonds That break down slowly.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Whitey

By the time you would get SCU into Liquid form, It would no longer be SCU. Urea will go into solution and sulfur will be an emulsion that must be constantly agitated. Liquid Slow release Nitrogen are in the form of Long Chain Bonds That break down slowly.
Thanks. Then I guess how much slow release is in the formulation is done at the molecular level, binding the nitro? Interesting.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

To get slow release N , you either have to buy the liquid slow releases available at high cost or use stabilized nitrogen (UFLEXX, UMAXX). That is a disadvantage to spraying fert. Not as convenient as pouring a bag in the hopper of a dry spreader. It works really great for early and late apps of pre-emrgence and fertilizer when the use of slow releases aren't as critical.