Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2001, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feed-back on the slime topic. I may have found something in my own backyard. A fellow cutter stopped out and used what I think was called "the Tire Plugger" he picked it up through Russo`s out of Chicago . I`m gonna order one .,and carry it with. I don`t see why a person coudn`t use it on a truck tire. It really works slick.Easy to use.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Howard, thanks for the reply. Sounds like the same stuff, I used. Worked well on larger stuff, not for the 9-3.50-4. I didnt do it in house I actually sent them out to a very reputable tire place. Strange. May be it has to do with operator error. Around metal edging. Thats what it always looked like to me.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use fix a flat most of the time but have thought about getting tubes with slime in them says it can handle several holes.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I repair low speed tires at work. All we had was Slime and I got to the point that I would not use it. I think the biggest problem is first to know where the leak is. Get a spray bottle and mix soap and water and spray to see where the leak is. If it is the bead or sidewall sealant may not work. I have torn down tires that had sealant only to find that it never made it to the leak. I use a good bead sealer and tire plug. The BEST tire sealant that I have used is available at your local John Deere dealer. Please don't use Fix-A-Flat in a aresol can. It wont plug the low pressure/low speed tires.
Randy
Old 12-22-2001, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my opinion would be to just lean how to plug a tire.
it dont take 5 min to do and always works for me.
later now
Old 12-23-2001, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have not use the slime product but have installed Pneumaseal in many of my customerís tires. I like this product because it is water-soluble so it washes out when tire replacement is necessary. It also has solid fibers in it that helps close large punctures up to 1/4". The only time I have had trouble with it is when the tire has been slit and not punctured. Or if the customer tries to use less then the recommended amount for the size of tire he is trying to protect.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Slime--to use or not to use

I am the mantainance manager for the town I live in. I have several mowers with small tires, and slime ( does not work). The best remedy I found was to put ( four) ply tires on. The tires that gave the most problem was on two Exmarks with the caster wheels. Haven't had a flat since installing good 4 ply tires.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a problem with one of the drive tires on my toro/exmark 36 going down constantly, i'd fill it up with air, and the next day it would be flat. So I put fix a flat in it, that was a year ago and not a problem since