Register free!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

basicaly as i pop my cap on this creamy guiness I feel that we all love to be on our own and work outside for whatever reason. Some of us think we are great at this some of us think this is just a another pay check. If you actualy love this kind of work and are up to the challenge to do new things then you are a landscaper. You may cut grass, do installs are ICPI certified, irrigation whatever. The fact is when the day is done you feel you accomplished something today. You got your hands dirty. You did'nt get into a car and head to an office working 9-5 for the same friggin paycheck week after week after week. You took a shot and said frak that man i am going to be a friggin landscaper and they can stick that paycheck up their beloved assholes. This is what we do. We may struggle from time to time. The weather may shoot us down or build us up. we go by nature and gut instinct to be the best at this no matter what the hell it is. Thats all I have to say about that. God I love this beer.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Wow! and I'm just starting out in landscape horticulture. Thats got to be enough to fill the resume.
Interesting you mention that resume thing.

When I was 1/3 of the way to where I'm at now, like 20 years ago, I'd kill myself to make my 7 years worth of semi-qualifications stretch to fill up 2 or 3 resume pages.

Now, I just use one page for all 28 years.

Sure is heck of a lot easier to make just one sheet too.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Water View Post
Also, the only person in the pacific northwest who knows how to properly plant leyland cyprus.
Yes, but you're not the only one who knows these trees are man-made hybrids, named after their inventor, these trees are incapable of procreating on their own and must thus first be farmed. Actually, I think the process is called preening.

So be it of no surprise to a customer when I quote them a high price to transplant such a tree, they can call you or they can call whoever they want because if anyone does it for less it means they know less to nothing about the species.

That having been said, beyond some initial frustration I really don't see a bs artist getting too far, too many things have been mentioned here that quite frankly I myself could give a rat about. For instance I don't need a Ph.d in horticulture to know there exists no such thing as a permanent weed solution, it gets to a point, who cares...

Last edited by topsites; 01-05-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
That having been said, beyond some initial frustration I really don't see a bs artist getting too far, too many things have been mentioned here that quite frankly I myself could give a rat about. For instance I don't need a Ph.d in horticulture to know there exists no such thing as a permanent weed solution, it gets to a point, who cares...
Not to argue but throwing out a point. I'm going to school for this with emphasis in design/construction. Medically speaking from my recent physical the doctor's orders came down that I'm going to have to a career change, looking at another knee replacement this time in the right leg. So my long days of hard work are very limited. I'm hoping I can find and fit into one of the many different lines of landscaping. Instead of being a general laborer. It seems with alot of the companies around here is if you design it you build it, I think I'll be able to do that but I'm going to have to slow down and take frequent breaks thus losing a lot of productivity. So I got to rely more on knowledge instead of productivity which through my school I've learned a lot more then I have from in my past 3 seasons.

Off topic: can you guys give me a botanical name for leyland cyprus or is that it? Would like to do research.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took a different route.

I decided early on after working for my Dad (House Builder). I would go a different route. I went to a 4 year school and get a degree in Technology Education which I used to become a shop teacher. My degree consisted of classes on everything from metals technology to home construction, plumbing, electrical, and industrial design and drawing. My many computer classes and graphic design classes has lead me to create my own logos, flyers, websites, designs, and to create information pages for customers that are beautiful and easy to understand.

I have now been employed for 5 years and my salary is a little over 52,000 for 180 days of work. I teach 8th graders the love of the technical world. I also have a masters in education. The great thing about my degree and education was it allowed me to produce start up cash to try out this industry. If I ever decided I could not hack it, or got burned, I could just go back to playing golf all summer.

During college I worked for landscapers full time, farmers (to gain machine exp), and a chemical fertilizer plants (to gain fert exp). In an unknown way I got a ton of experience in quite a few areas of landscaping and I really did a ton of hardscaping and loved it. I have always had the equipment and building bug, its in my genes. Even if I wanted to quit this industry I couldn't.

2 years ago I started a Property service business because all of my "friends," could not stop asking for me to do a little job here, or there, and I decided I should just as well get paid. I am not trying to steal anyone's work as I will always stay a solo, I just have the intense love for making things right like many in the industry.

I have found my education route has really allowed me to talk with people and educate them on correct policies and practices. My general knowledge has been more of an asset. Sure I F&^K up many times, but I think the difference is the ability to make it right, really contracting work comes down to the integrity of who your working with doesn't it?

I am working to go to ICPI, and join more landscaping groups. I have to be honest, us little guys fill a very important role in the grand scheme of things. I work solo, and many trust my integrity as a fixture in the public community, and many choose to work with me. I would imagine my prices are lower than other in the area, but I have lower overhead, and my goal is to not go all out and become a shine and fade super company.

Last edited by Steiner; 01-05-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 4 year degree in landscape development/ agricultural business from SUNY Cobleskill. I am 21 years old and I'm the landscape manager for a high end general contractor working on 40m+ homes in Greenwich Connecticut. I am gaining experience everyday. but I think I'm succesefull seeing I'm working for and installing one of the country's best landscapes architects.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no clue what I am doing. But I did manage to bring in $1.3 Mil. last year for our company.

Not bad for a bull5h1tter, huh?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Iím sure not qualified I just go around getting the bucks
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Picea Pungens Glauca Globosa(globe blue spruce) is what got me started in the persuit of higher knowledge regarding landscaping. I was about nineteen, going to school full-time, and working nearly full time at a local nursery/landscape design firm. The large name for a small bush cracked me up, at first, but also perked my interest into learning the names common/botanical for all the plants. I liked landscaping and the satisfaction I got after completing jobs alot more than the thankless job of crunching numbers.
Through the course of many years I have had the opportunity to see the various trees &lants in different lighting situations within our climate zone, their tolerances with heat, drought, insects, and fungus problems. I dont learn something new everyday regarding plants/hardscaping necessarily, but this business/industry keeps me on-my-toes all the time.