Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Few Questions?

I am in the stages of turning my business into a different direction. I was wondering if you guys could refer me to some good books to read so I can learn to go organic? I dont ming getting a few that cover each aspect, so any that are benefical that would be great. Also, is there an agency here in the south like up north?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Lawn View Post
I am in the stages of turning my business into a different direction. I was wondering if you guys could refer me to some good books to read so I can learn to go organic? I dont ming getting a few that cover each aspect, so any that are benefical that would be great. Also, is there an agency here in the south like up north?
Reading materials
Jeff Lowenfels - Teaming with microbes, excellent explanation of the soil food web
NOFA - www.organiclandcare.net - They have several books specific to organic lawn care, weed control and pest control
Paul Tukey - The organic lawn care manual - boring read but an excellent reference book, this book just came out a year ago so it is pretty up to date
Dr. Elaine Ingham - www.soilfoodweb.com She has multiple books out on Compost Teas, turf, land care, microscopy, etc.
www.acresusa.com - this group has been around for many many years and has some wonderful reference books from organic farmers and land care folks. They can lean slightly to the odd side with some of their stuff but all around a wonderful group

Betsy Ross Builta from Ross farm, provides grass fed and grass-finished beef under label of Betsy Ross Grass-fed Beef. Founder of Compost Tea Texas , LLC, provider of compost tea to pasture and grazing land, cotton, corn and pecan operations throughout Texas. If you could look these folks up they can head you in the right direction in Texas.

Also ask your local extention agent if they are working with any composters that know their stuff, often you will find that there are organic practices going on around you that you hadn't noticed. The local unversity may also have an AG section that is working with organic folks for farming and composting
Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, looks like I have some research to do.