Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

max number of blanket applications?

Hey Guys,

How many blanket applications do you do for broadleaf weed control? Is once a month during the growing season too much?

I was going to to a split app of Echlon for my Pre Emergent Crabgrass (Also is a pre-emergent for nutsedge and goosegrass, kills small crabgrass plants, nutsedgeplants, goosegrass plants, and some broadleafs post emergent) It is brand new this year if you haven't heard of it, which would be March and April, a round of dismiss in may, june would be another echlon as it starts to break down aftr 60 days, July and september would be Trimec with octane mixed in. Nothing in august because of the stressed turn conditions we always have.

I want to provide the best control possible, cost is not the issue, my customers pay for good service, I'm not exceeding any one label for the number of applications per season but is six applications of different products on one season too much chemical in the ground?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

6 herbicides

6 times is way above average. I use 1 crabgrass and two broadleafs controls per year. Of course, Dismiss (sulfentrazone) decomposes very quickly.

Echelon contains sulfentrazone and prodiamine.

So you would have 4 applications of sulfentrazone. Myself I am not sure if it has a wide range of weeds killed. There are a lot of weeds not on the label--so it probably does not kill the weeds not on the label.

You might be better off spot spraying with different products for different weed problems. Or...perhaps rotating to different products.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i cant believe you have to ask this, i guess where you are from they dont require certifications. At least know this, grass hates weed control but tolerates it in small doses. That much all the time will absolutely thin your turf , although it may be weed free. second that is horrible ipm technique to think like that. Of course you are polluting the crap out of the ground and water tables. If you concentrate on making the turf healthy, you dont need much weed control. it is called responsible use of chemical and knowledge about what it is you are doing
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i cant believe you have to ask this, i guess where you are from they dont require certifications. At least know this, grass hates weed control but tolerates it in small doses. That much all the time will absolutely thin your turf , although it may be weed free. second that is horrible ipm technique to think like that. Of course you are polluting the crap out of the ground and water tables. If you concentrate on making the turf healthy, you dont need much weed control. it is called responsible use of chemical and knowledge about what it is you are doing
I agree that six times is to many. When applied at the proper rate you can only pt down 2,4-d twice a year in Wisconsin as a blanket application. In my area two blanket applications a year is more than enough to keep the weeds under control. If you are worried about weeds and you seem to have enough time I would do a spot check for weeds every six weeks.
As far as saying you are polluting the the crap out of ground and water tables I would not go that far. Studies have shown that fertilizers and weed control products when applied at the correct rates stay on site at a greater than 99% rate. Proper fertilization goes along way toward this. If these people are willing to pay for all that weed control they certainly should be willing to pay for a proper fertilization program.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks to all for the advice, except for the guy that insulted me.

I am going to revise my program. I was worried about it being to much, and wanted a second opinion.

I am certified, but new at this. I am doing blanket apps for the lawns that are poorly maintained by the homeowner and do not inhibit weed growth. Last year I had a real hard time with broadleafs on some of these lawns. The lawns that I maintain or are paintained properly by the homeowner get spot sprayed.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Thanks to all for the advice, except for the guy that insulted me.

I am going to revise my program. I was worried about it being to much, and wanted a second opinion.

I am certified, but new at this. I am doing blanket apps for the lawns that are poorly maintained by the homeowner and do not inhibit weed growth. Last year I had a real hard time with broadleafs on some of these lawns. The lawns that I maintain or are paintained properly by the homeowner get spot sprayed.
We can only make 2 blanket apps/season with Three Way and that should be all you need (with maybe some spotting here and there).

The key to a low weed population is a thick lawn. The best way to control weeds can be done with fertilizer.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i split my pre-m apps, always have and probly always will. broadleaf weed control is done in the fall and again in the spring if needed. a good spray in the fall with cool power and 90% + of the weeds are gone for the next season. i wil say that i'm old school and have a hard time buying into the 'next generation' of weed control products that cost 3-4 time as much as the products i currently use.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just to throw in one more idea, it sounds like broadleaves are what your post controls are directed at so you may consider another pre-em to tank mix with prodiamine (which doesn't control a wide range of broadleaves) based on the weeds your dealing with, Dimension? Pennant? Surflan?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
Just to throw in one more idea, it sounds like broadleaves are what your post controls are directed at so you may consider another pre-em to tank mix with prodiamine (which doesn't control a wide range of broadleaves) based on the weeds your dealing with, Dimension? Pennant? Surflan?
spend the big money and mix gallary into the tank.

i think i'd be selling some lawn renovations or dumping the customers that don't want to do anything to help the lawn grow. wouldn't want my truck parked in front of the house, people thinking that it's my fault.