Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2000, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Preemergents and most other chemicals applied to lawns are broken down by microbal activity (by far the largest activity), photodegradation and other natural events. Traffic and weather may reduce the health of the turf so weed germination is enhanced. No premerg is 100%, the best are around 95%. So when one crabgrass plant puts out 12,000 to 15,000 seeds, some of which are viable for up to 15 years, one crabgrass plant last year equals 600-750 crabgrass plants over the next 10-15 yrs, even with preemergents.<br>Again, are you applying according to the label? Really? Label can tell you what setting to use, but is it right? Couple of years ago I tried to help a buddy calibrate a Lesco spreader. We could not get away from almost a double dose of chemical about 2 feet right of center. Few months later a golf magazine ran an article on the same thing. Last spring Lesco came out with a change in gearing to supposedly correct problem. My buddy got the retro kit, but we never took time to see if it really works. I have used Spykers for years, and he has converted to them.<br>Another example of calibration: I had calibrated spreader for Team years ago, and decided to check my settings 3 yrs ago. Wow- the settings I was using wound up: 1/3 of product to left side, 2/3 to right side. So left was 1/3 underdosed and right 1/3 overdosed. And you guessed it: all my crabgrass breakthrough was on left side of the spreader.<br>Have generally had heavy breakthru only when site is not irrigated. A dry spell can allow soil to crack, so preemerg bond is also cracked?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-19-2000, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I use split applications of preemergent. One in Feb. and then April. Have never had a problem with fall germination of cool season grasses.
Old 01-20-2000, 05:50 PM

Location: Middle Tennessee, Walking Horse Capital of the World
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I thought there might not be a problem with the fall app. of weed-n-feed. I have seen instances where 2,4-D has been applied on a yard and then over-seeded and there was a very poor germination of the grass seed. I do not apply any post emergent until after 3 cuttings on new grass without any ill effects. <br>Thanks again.<br> <p>----------<br>Richard <br>Davis Total Lawn Care