Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 PM
patron patron is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hudson, ohio
Posts: 167
Any Ideas...

Hi This a 16 Hp self propelled Lesco Blower
I could not get it to do it for me today, but the problem is after about running for 3 to 5 minutes. Hdy oil begins to flow out of the vent in the oil cap. This machine is used about 30 to 50 hours a year. I've had it about 8 years and this problem developed out of the blue one day. Since it didn't do it for the camera I'm just wondering what might cause a problem of this nature?
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,775
You don't have the tank over filled do you ?

In the center of the cap I believe there is a small piece of foam that filters trash from getting through the vent, This foam could be rotted away leaving a open hole for the oil to be vibrated through.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
MowerMedic77's Avatar
MowerMedic77 MowerMedic77 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In the shop breaking stuff....
Posts: 1,164
You need to check all of your suction side hydro lines and fittings. Something is loose and sucking air into the system and causing the hydro oil to foam out of the top of the reservoir tank.
Good luck and hope this helps
__________________
Remember that the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer. Read here to learn more http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
patron patron is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hudson, ohio
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
You don't have the tank over filled do you ?

In the center of the cap I believe there is a small piece of foam that filters trash from getting through the vent, This foam could be rotted away leaving a open hole for the oil to be vibrated through.
No cap is good oil level is correct.
When it was coming through the vent it was sort of tan
the next morning back to normal.

I'll try and run it longer next time to re create the actual event.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
patron patron is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hudson, ohio
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMedic77 View Post
You need to check all of your suction side hydro lines and fittings. Something is loose and sucking air into the system and causing the hydro oil to foam out of the top of the reservoir tank.
Good luck and hope this helps
thanks wasn't sure where to start looking have two of these and they have been mostly trouble free.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,775
Tan looking oil is a sign of moister/condensation in the oil which will cause a higher than normal oil level when cold. Once ran for a while (warmed up) the moister/condensation burns out and the oil returns to the original color and level.

We had this very problem with new units being driven to the front of our building daily for display. They don't get ran to running temps going this little distance so condensation builds.

Once a week they are left running and brought up to temp to burn this condensation out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
patron patron is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hudson, ohio
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Tan looking oil is a sign of moister/condensation in the oil which will cause a higher than normal oil level when cold. Once ran for a while (warmed up) the moister/condensation burns out and the oil returns to the original color and level.

We had this very problem with new units being driven to the front of our building daily for display. They don't get ran to running temps going this little distance so condensation builds.

Once a week they are left running and brought up to temp to burn this condensation out.
This sits 10 months out of the year
Started this afternoon so i could post to this board.
when problem first was happening in november i just shut machine down. went an got a new filter and then season was over.
so i'll let it run even longer tomorrow and see what happens
have about month an a half b4 i need it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
patron patron is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hudson, ohio
Posts: 167
Ran it today for 45 minutes no problem.

Maybe is was mouse crap?

Thank for all the help
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
2stroke 2stroke is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Grand Junction Co. zone 3
Posts: 239
i grew up in Hudson Ohio. small world.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.09215 seconds with 10 queries