Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations Whitey4 (if that's your real name )
Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8379 View Post
Congratulations Whitey4 (if that's your real name )
Thanks, Bill. That's sort of a nick-name... based on my last name. My sis and I always call each other Whitey. Sure is a relief to get that out of the way. Still too wound up to crawl under the covers!

An apprentice applicator can apply a RUP with direct off site supervision by a certified applicator. That I knew. The curve ball? When an apprentice applicator applies a RUP at a grade school, what supervision is needed?
A. Direct off site supervision
B. Direct on site supervision
C. wrong
D. ridiculously wrong

Now, of the RUP's, only Merit can be applied by an apprentice with direct off site supervision. Other RUP's require on site supervision. Then the school curve ball. There are different laws regarding schools, but this one I had to guess at. But this is a state wide test, and Merit is only restricted here. I believe I got this one wrong. There were a few tough ones.

The open book test .... since it's timed, you have to be able to answer some, actually a lot of tough questions from memory or you won't finish in time. You can't look them all up.

How many generations does the Birch Leaf Miner produce in a season? Yeah, that one I had to look up. I'd say I had to look up about 15 questions.

What catepillar can travel long distances by wind? knew that one. Some of the answers to the open book category questions aren't found in a single line, or even paragraph. You have to read the whole entry on a bug or disease, and sometimes do that for three of the possible four pests that they list for answers. You can't study too much for this thing in NY.

Here is a funny story.... the first guy to turn in his CORE exam was told he had 33 out of 50 wrong! They were telling him he could come back in a month, yada yada... and he's like there's NO WAY I got that many wrong!

So, they hand check his test... and he has 9 out of the first 10 right. They gave us all new tests, but used the old scanner answer key in their computer! They had to hand grade everything. Government employees....
Old 02-09-2008, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sticky sticky sticky where are you? I got a question and was told to ask you but if anyone else knows the answer that would be cool too. I live here in GA and am taking the exam to be a certified applicator. Are there any study sessions or prep classes to go to before the exam being there is so much material and 80% has to deal with farming which i have no intrest in?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby08 View Post
sticky sticky sticky where are you? I got a question and was told to ask you but if anyone else knows the answer that would be cool too. I live here in GA and am taking the exam to be a certified applicator. Are there any study sessions or prep classes to go to before the exam being there is so much material and 80% has to deal with farming which i have no intrest in?

Thanks
It's the link in the first post, but here ya go:

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/Pe...pest-home.html
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for info, I called the Va Tech pesticide programs coordinator and he told me that the new applicators cources are not held very often, and there are none scheduled as of now, so now where would one turn, I really want to do the right think just dont know where to begin. any help would be greatly appreciated
4 shindy 231 trimmers
sthil edger
sthil / 8001 rednax blowers
ryan wb pluger
hastyvac
l34 kubota w/bucket
harly rake
jd1020
chevy silver
chevy 1 ton
ford dump
very supporting wife and kids
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Newboy08,
Are you sure you have the right study material? There are several different types of licenses. The turf and ornamental study material is specific for the subject. General safe handling practices will be the same for all types of licenses. Joe
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont have any study material,I want it for the turf but their telling me that i need either one year experience or certification before they will send me study material. I agree on the certification part,sure would not be a good idea to have people doing this without knowing what there doing .I have been in the lawn service business for several years just not this part of it and have always tried to do the right thing,just dont know how to get educated on this.
4 shindy 231 trimmers
sthil edger
sthil / 8001 rednax blowers
ryan wb pluger
hastyvac
l34 kubota w/bucket
harly rake
jd1020
chevy silver
chevy 1 ton
ford dump
very supporting wife and kids
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, I got all the right stuff, both the general book and the ornamental turf book. I got them from UGA who my local extension office put me in contact with. Lawn Dogg, thats what I would do, just call or visit your local extension office. All the ones I've ever dealt with were very helpful. I know the books I got are good for GA and the Carolinas I believe.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Georgia licensing

I passed the Georgia test in December using the two books along with a DVD the Cobb county extension agent had for loan with $20 deposit.

Literally, the DVD was video of the review classes they have or did have before the test. The DVD covered all the chapters, they told you what was needed in each chapter.

Video was peppered with "this will be on the test & these are the terms you will need to know" from each chapter.

I went through the video while following along in the books highlighting, underlining, and taking the quiz (Test Your Knowledge) at chapter end.

I was fortunate to pass the General Standards section w/86 out of 100 & category 24 section w/79 of 100 on first try.

Good luck! - Ed
Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmmm

so was the test hard, do you think that you could have passed it without the video? I just read through it and highlighted what I thought was important, I bet that video made a big difference to though. I wander if I can get that video being that I live in Cherokee County?