Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

i had a problem like that once as well. it was the coil pack.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had the same problems on larger mowers like that, only in my case the blades won't turn on. Often times it's a bad charging system or a bad battery. It was kinda a coincidence that all the mowers I had that problem with were running the kohler commander engines, which are nice, but all seem to have some sort of charging issue.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any more information on the "tilt switch" I posted earlier about a problem that is very similar to this.

I need to pay attention to the position of where the key is next time I start it, which could also be the problem...
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac. I see your from Wilbraham. Our routes may be close. Whats the name of your company. Maybe I've seen you around before.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

im small, and not an LLC, I just registured this year and graduating UMass in the spring, been doing part time for 5 or so years, and am going full time this spring... I also work for another company in this area that is all construction.

I read your posts and would guess you drive a white superduty or older green ram?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnboss View Post
you may not believe this but it may be simple, as i have had this same problem on mine. What i found was this, sometimes when i start the mower, the key will actually stick in the "START" position, when this happens, you start the blades or take off the parking brake the mower dies. I dont know that this is your problem or not but something to look for. Never know. Good luck.
I had same thing happen to me sprayed it with wd40 and wotrked fine rest of day changed it next day

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubba View Post
Happened today. Let me start off by saying that it ran great last week. It's a Exmark Lazer Z HP 23hp 52". Last day I used it was Friday. Everything ran perfectly, the way it has since I bought it. I bought the mower August 2005. (Ironic how the warranty runs out huh) It now has right at 500 hours on it. Most of them happening this year. I get on it today, and the battery is dead. First time that's happened. I carry a small jumper, so once I jumped it off, I hopped on it to do a yard. I cut the blades on, drive about 1/4 pass, and the mower cuts off. So I check gas (level's fine), and jump it off again. This time, I cut the blades on and once the blades get up to speed, the mower begins to shut off. I then push the blade switch back in, and the mower runs fine. I did this several times. The mower will not run with the blades on. I know the parking brake is linked to this switch, but so are other things, and I would think if something was amiss there, then other things would not be working right. Could it be the PTO switch itself? Any ideas? Remember, it also sucked my battery dry over the past two days, whatever it is.
i had a similar problem with my zt219 kawi... turned out to be a bad ignition switch. too bad i didn't know of lawnsite then, as it took me ALL DAY to figure it out. gotta love this site... it's nice to know you all are out there and so willing to throw in your expertise, experiences and/or ideas. have a good one.