Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Some maint. tips?

I posted a thread on here some time back on different types of oils and weights to use and got some awesome info.

Now I am looking to get some helpful maint. tips on what and what not to do. Not only with just motors, anything.

Sop please if you would add a tip that would help out with preventive maint., storage, and routine maint. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that you should not wash machine off because water gets into all the connection points and switches and causes problem over time. But if you insist on doing it them I would use high pressure air to dry all the stuff off very carefully.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep 'em Clean

Ditto to what Ed2 said, when the guys bring equipment in it's always filthy, I won't work on dirty stuff cause it's too easy to miss something cracked,broken or gone. Go to a farm supply or sometimes Wal-Mart stocks a blowgun by Campbell-Hausfeld that has a 3' extension on it. I give one to the guys for Christmas presents, but they get lost or just no time. If the equipment is oily,greasy I use 3-4 cans of degreaser, wash and blowdry the entire machine and let it dry for a day, Ed is right about water getting in the electrical and that's only going to get worse as the electronic stuff keeps adding on. Two things kill an engine, dirty oil and dirty air filters, keep plenty of both in backup. The guys this year also got something evidently new to them... A GREASEGUN golly-e guess those bearings do last longer!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are just ideas but are a part of my annual maintenance program.

Once a year (like now is a good time):
- Replace all spark plugs, I use double platinums myself.
- Replace all air filters.
- Replace all the brass bushings like in front casters and velke, don't forget the belt tension idler.
- Replace any broken grommets and clips pins springs and what have you, all dollar parts, if it's broken replace it.
- All machines change oil and filter, synthetic only, 10w-30 for all.
- Sharpen ALL blades, coat lightly with oil to prevent rust, set aside.
- Inspect spindle bearings for wear, also front caster bearings and velke wheel bearings.
- Replace any broken zerks, fix any flat tires, etc, etc, get them super ready.
- Check belts and tires but only to see if you think you'll need one or the other soon, order these if you do.
- Get up a parts inventory for tax purposes and so as to make up a parts order for the year.

Truck:
All of the above (oil plugs air filter at the least)
- Replace pcv valve and breather cap.
- Change trans fluid and filter.
- Check for nails in the tires, wear also.
- Pull front wheels and calipers, inspect brake pads and replace if needed.
> Also while there remove and pack the wheel bearings, then grab a grease gun and hit up the zerks up under there.
- If the parking brake works good fine, if not pull off at least one rear wheel and inspect / replace those brake pads also.
> If the pads are fine adjust the brake cable lol.

Can't think of anything else for now heh...
It is a good time for state inspections thou, for those of us who do this.

Doing this (and anything else I can think of) helps keep my machines running better, longer.
DIY saves money.

Last edited by topsites; 02-01-2008 at 12:10 PM.