Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I would also say that you need the business classes and landscaping/hort classes. Someone suggest taking a Business Law class and they are right, you will learn so much valuable info from that class. Also the accounting classes will be very valuable. You still have to know something about the field you are going to be in, so that is where the design, hort. classes will come in. Remember to also have a social life and have fun in college. It will be a very unique and good time in your life. Good luck and it seems like you have a very positive future ahead of you.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should contact a couple LA firms in your area. They will give you a walk around their office. See if that is the type of job you might be interested in. I graduated from Temple with a degree in Landscape Architecture, but knew before hand the office life wasnt for me... I graduated last year, and if I could do anything differently, I would have specialized in more enviro. sensitive classes.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am glad to see a teen that wants to go to college. I am 18 and graduated this past may. I have to say i have been debating on the same thing you are. Here are a few things you need to look at. Do you want to start at the bottom and work up. You can be well educated in horticulture and not know how to go about getting it done (you need experience). Do you want to be tied down to a certain thing. Think about 40 years down the road do you want to own and operate a business with decent benefits or retire from a job with great benefits and start up your own. do you want to live in a small town or a large city. I am going to major in business and minor in horticulture. That way if one day i need a change i can make it. I don't want to live in a big city and if you want to make a killing with horticulture that is where you need to be. Some may disagree but get a good education no matter what it is in. Because people look at you different if you do have a college degree and i am sorry if that offends anyone. But it is almost always true! Just my .02 cents....

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Maslow's hierarchy of needs are at the fore of how I run my business. OK, so Peter Drucker's Management by Objectives had some good points that are useful in designing a business plan, but so many college business classes are theoretical mumbo-jumbo and as is often the case, mainsteam business acadamia often does little to prepare one for running a start up business in the real world.

A couple of good books on how to start and manage a small company are a whole lot cheaper and much more usefull IMO. They have just enough accounting and legal info for the start up to avoid common pitfalls. I don't care who you are, how big or small a business, you are going to get an accountant anyway.

There are plenty of cheap and available sources to guide people into writing a good contract that will protect themselves. The magic in this business is how we make things grow. Horticulture. Not pencil sharpening. Botany.