Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

New Lawn Installs

After I install a new lawn I always give the customer directions on watering and fertilizing. Of course no one ever listens. Now on most lawns I set up sprinklers with timers and make my own watering schedule. However this does not work with every account and I was wondering If anyone could post what types of information they give the customer to make sure the lawns get properly cared for reducing unnecessary call backs.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

water water water!

ive always done that too, figure in hoses and a few home cheapo sprinklers to the job cost, and tell them the more they water the faster youll see grass, and if you keep it saturated for the first week youll see ryegrass within 5-12 days.

but of course people get lazy, and say wellll they were calling for rain so i diddnt bother to water and then it always never rains and the seedlings die off...

i feel your pain
Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

see if you can get away with charging to come and water. or type of a schedule and tell them that lack of water makes your gurantee null and void. but remember i am still a rookie with alot of ideas and no money
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Let them know NOT to water in the evening once the seedlings are up. Always water in morning and early afternoon so that the lawn has had time to dry out by evening to avoid mold growth which can kill a new lawn.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

as they hand me the check i get close look them in the eye and tell that that if they do not water they just threw that money away and it will cost more to redo the lawn if it fails. get some good results with this but some get kind of pissy. but since i have started telling people this havn't had one customer call me and fuss about grass not growing. they know ahead of time
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats all good advice, thanks. Does anyone have watering instructions they actually give the costumer to read and fallow along with there verbal instructions. I think that some people would listen more if I had something on paper to back up what I just told them. It seems like people don't understand what you just told them or don't want to listen, at least I can say it's right there on paper.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah it would be a good idea to make some sort of thing in quickbooks, so when you go to bill for a grading job it automatically pops up as a list of reminders for someone to keep on hand

when i would do sealcoating i did what youre talking about and people loved it

so many times people wouldnt wait the 2 days for it to dry, or would wait weeks, or would decide to water their lawn and have the sealcoat wash away that night, so by making like a half sheet of paper on the computer with a list of reminders and the stipulation that if all these rules arent followed then i cant guarantee the work it helped me out with callbacks for qquestions etc.