Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Jason Rose's Avatar
Jason Rose Jason Rose is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 5,778
Good "manual" pole saw?

Sorry if this had been discussed before, I tried a search for "pole saw" and it told me that the word "saw" was too common. So here I am.

I'm lookig for a good, and LONG pole saw, one without a motor. I don't plan on using it that much, but would also like the ability to reach very high if need be. I've seen the power company using them that have sections that click toghter, about 4 or 5 foot each. They slap 4 or 6 together and can catch limbs from the ground that you would think only a bucket truck could reach. They also had a metal hook on one pole for dragging stuck limbs down.

I've looked at eBay and Googled. The closest thing I can find are the Silky saws. They have the 21' model, and can add a hook that fits on the back of the pole behind the base of the blade. I have heard good reports of the Silky saws, but I didn't know where to look for other options. Kinda like the click together sections, opposed to the extendable teloscope kind, I would think that the sectioned kind would be a little easier to use (lighter weight).

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
sbvfd592's Avatar
sbvfd592 sbvfd592 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: greenwich ct
Posts: 668
i have a stihl and got 2 extra pole extentions. its a great tool handy too
__________________
Riverside Landscaping
Building paradise
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Jason Rose's Avatar
Jason Rose Jason Rose is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 5,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvfd592 View Post
i have a stihl and got 2 extra pole extentions. its a great tool handy too
you recall the price with the 2 extra extentions? I totally forgot that they sell those, i've seen them at my dealer before but never priced them. Also how long is it with all the extentions?

I guess I could just go to their website and answer some of the questions myself...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2008, 05:03 PM
GravelyNut GravelyNut is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wet part of FL
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
you recall the price with the 2 extra extentions? I totally forgot that they sell those, i've seen them at my dealer before but never priced them. Also how long is it with all the extentions?

I guess I could just go to their website and answer some of the questions myself...
18' with the extension.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
AGLA AGLA is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 1,680
Look for a blade that says "made in Sweden" , stay away from "made in China".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Jason Rose's Avatar
Jason Rose Jason Rose is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 5,778
How about Japan? Like the Silky saws...

I just looked at the Stihl, I'm sure its an excellent saw, but with the extra extention you have to buy to make it 18' I'm betting it's well over $200. I found I can but the Silky 21' for $200, plus 7.99 shipping, and another $20 for the hook attachment. And that's from their site.

I'd love to have a gas powered Echo, but I would never in my lifetime use it enough to warrant having it... so the hand saw would last me a lifetime, where the powered saw would rot from sitting all the time. I've used the Echo one many times, and wow are they nice though!! Very heavy, but fast.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
How about Japan? Like the Silky saws...

I just looked at the Stihl, I'm sure its an excellent saw, but with the extra extention you have to buy to make it 18' I'm betting it's well over $200. I found I can but the Silky 21' for $200, plus 7.99 shipping, and another $20 for the hook attachment. And that's from their site.

I'd love to have a gas powered Echo, but I would never in my lifetime use it enough to warrant having it... so the hand saw would last me a lifetime, where the powered saw would rot from sitting all the time. I've used the Echo one many times, and wow are they nice though!! Very heavy, but fast.
We bite the bullet and got the $225 dollar Stihl and it is a real saw. We use it in combination to our Echo pole saw and you can do a lot from the ground. The only thing needed on that stihl saw is a second blade for fine cutting of small stuff...guess it is available. I talked them down on price a little on the saw by convincing them that they could tell stihl that they actually sold one this year.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2008, 02:36 PM
east sooke man east sooke man is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: victoria bc canada
Posts: 40
Silky saws are decent blades they have the japanese style of blade which is aggressive and cuts very cleanly. Usually you can take the blade to sharpening place and they will sharpen it up at smaller cost than replacing.
I built my own with a piece of 1.5 inch dowelling and attached the blade with bolts so I can sharpen or replace it. Wrapped some tape around the end for a bulbous handle and it works great, nice and light and easy to place into the branches without hitting others. With my pruning ladder I can reach 20 ft.
__________________
Force of Nature Landscaping
Victoria B C Canada
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.10240 seconds with 9 queries