Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Install rock pricing, sq yard or sq ft? Please help!

I am doing some bids for some builders and they want me to bid them by the sq. ft. Crazy, dont want to do it. I have always I think short changed myself when it came to charging for rock and labor. In the past I have always just figured it out as if I had lets say 10 ton of rock to install and lets say it cost me $24.00 a ton. I would just figure it out as $30 a ton (mark up) so on 10 ton it would cost $300 and I know this is not right but I would just double that for my labor. So it would only come up to $600 for install and material. As you can see I need some help. I use mostly 1 1/2 " to 1 3/4" river rock. Its coverage is about 80 sq. ft. I was running the numbers but keep running into a wall. I need to have my pricing so I can say this is how much per sq. yrd. Not just tring to figure it out everytime and not having any solid pricing.
Out of that 80 sq. ft. I come up with 8.88 sq. yrds. Is that correct. Is it crazy to say $80 per sq. yrd. installed? Includes fabric or plastic , labor and the rock.
Please help, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Zach

Have a great day!
Zach
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If 1 ton covers approx. 80 sq. ft, I would figure your price per ton. So, you need to calculate how much your fabric is going to cost installed for 80 sq. ft and how much rock is installed per ton. Add in a delivery fee and you should be set. This will give you a price per ton installed w/ fabric. Of course you'll have to adjust the labor part depending on access and distance traveled for different sites. You also might have to adjust delivery fees depending on location.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

except for difficult locations like having to wheel barrel from the street to the back yard or difficult terrain or the price of fancy rock or mulch i charge 110.00 p square yard
and if i'm not mistaken every time i have dealt with a builder i have had to cut my profit margin wayaayayaya back