Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2002, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

how do u sub out work?

hi
starting out his spring..me question is if someone asks me do u
install sprinkler systems or do u build little ponds or build small walls...what should i say cuz i cant do that right now..do i call a local sprinkler installer and tell him i might have a job for him?also
do i tell him ill give him the job for 10% of what it costs samething for a wall etc.do i tell the customer ill get back to them i may know someone?

thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much if you don't know something about the skill or trade, you shouldn't sub work or do it yourself. Put yourself in the customers shoes. If you wanted to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars would you want someone who knows nothing finding a contractor for you or fumbling at it himself?

All you greenhorns gotta learn to crawl, then walk and then run. Everybody is trying to run when they are 7 months old. Can't be done. Work around for awhile at what you know, go to conventions, take classes and short courses, work part time for others, talk to manufacturers, suppliers etc. In other words, get educated before you expand out.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's how I sub out work-
1. Find honest, prompt, reputable,efficient subcontractors. People who will make you look really good-not kinda good-really good. Good luck.
2. Keep your subcontractors in mind and pull them out when needed.
3. If someone asks you to do a job which you are not qualified for, and you don't know a really good sub PASS on the job.
4. Figure out, generally, how to do your sub's job so you can answer homeowners questions and keep an eye on your subs.
5. Generally people around here add 10% to their sub's bills.
6. Ask your subs if they are Incorporated. If not you must send them a 1099 tax form at the end of the year or you pay taxes on the money they made.
7. Get certificates of insurance from ALL subs. When they hit the main data line for your town in your customers front yard their insurance bills will increase, not yours. (I've seen it- When the phone guy puts on his tyvec suit and gets out the magnifying glass to splice together the fiber optics things get expensive fast.)
Old 01-22-2002, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To expand on what HB said, when you don't know the job, the best sub in the world can't keep you from looking like an idiot when you have to explain the bill. The best advice I can offer is to give your customers a few good leads for contractors, then call the contractors and tell them. They might give you a little something for your effort, and reciprocate either with cash or job referrals. If you want to learn ask if you can help with the install. Customers also appreciate when you know when to say when.