Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2000, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

all you guys up north have a good thing going with the snow plowing to help you through the winter (I'm not jelous though not that crazy about that kind of cold) Would like to hear from some guys in the south what you do during the winter like down here where I'm at in louisiana. no snow to plow what are your comments and suggs.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-15-2000, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know about others but, I work for a contractor who has a contract for a big hospital in town. During the winter, we are doing a lot of pruning. Actually, the place was allowed to get out of shape so this is some major pruning. The point is that winter is a good time to prune any type of trees(not the ones that are noted for their spring flowers), shrubs, and any last perennials that are just now dying. Also, it is a good idea to go ahead and do some of the little extras like redefining the edges of beds, maybe proposing some design plans for the residents(draw up small plans and see if they are interested in implementing them, won't hurt to try and could be some good money), basically get the residence or whatever ready for spring even prior to spring clean-up. <br>Doing things like this will save time in spring when things begin to get hectic. Problem is selling the customer on this. This would serve as the basis for a good year-round contract. Also, I(and yes I am completely new to the lawn care business) think that the winter can serve a couple of purposes. 1. Allow you time to reflect on the past year. How can you be more efficient and what other things can you do to make your business better. 2. Rest. You have more than likely pushed yourself all of the other 3 seasons well, now you deserve some r&r.<br>wade
Old 01-15-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have reached a point where ALL I will accept is annual service agreements so I will retain at least 80% of my income all year. I still have some accounts that I call seasonal and will keep them to offset the extra expense of running in the summer. I set all my new customers up and explain that they will be charged a flat monthly fee 12 months a year and show them my mowing schedule. So far so good, only a couple of them have forgot what I told them and they will soon be history. As long as I can feed my hungry family and pay my bills I consider this my vacation time. Iam painting bedrooms and working on the house as we speak, uh, ya, it is 2:00 am isn't it. Oh well, thats whats working for me. You live in the south and should have plenty to do in the winter, if you are still only accepting seasonal work I would start with my next estimate and tell them they will be billed at the end of the every month, the same amount. It really only takes a few to generate enough to get by.