Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2002, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Jeep won't run

i have a 1988 Jeep limited 4x4 the other day it cut off as i was riding down the street, got it home now everytime i turn the key it starts but as soon as i release it the truck cuts off, I've replaced the ignition switch,check the wiring to make sure nothing pinched,check fuses, new fuel pump and filter,wires,spark plug,cap and button etc. does anyone have a clue whats going on or a website i might go to to help. any help or advice will be appreciated before i have to take it to the auto shop. thankc
Old 01-22-2002, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There should be a fusable link on the engine firewall. You will see a block where there is a wire in and one or more out. There will be a strip of metal that is burnt in two. They may have changed the location on the 88 models. But it's a fusable link problem. It's a $5 fix.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Two things to check. Do you have a ballast resistor in your ignition circuit? The resistor is bypassed in start mode, but is part of the circuit in the run mode. Another possibility would be the full pump relay. You could also go to www.off-road.com, and go to the jeep section. I use that board a lot for my 4x4 questions.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish you were here in bham khouse I could kiss you been working on it for 2 weeks, i was looking at the burnt wire but really wasn't paying attetion to it. i went out and look again and found the other end tape together and it crunk right up So now do i replace with the same guage wire or what the one i have on there now is not the same guage. thanks a bunch
Old 01-22-2002, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

You can buy a new fusable link at at any parts store. If you splice in your own make sure to use a wire 2 gauges smaller than the main wire.