Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2002, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Would you hire??

I'm wondering what's the chances of my being hired by a grounds maint. company? I'll be 15 in May, when I will look for a job, and I have 7 yrs experience mowing, the last 2 or 3 i've really concentrated on quality of cut, and getting into stripes, etc. I really enjoy doing this stuff and I do alittle for neighbors, but don't really want to start my own business yet, so do you think I would be able to get a job at this age or not? Oh yea, I do some power equip. repair and light fabricating too, like i've made a couple snowplows for garden tractors.
thanks,
Eric
Old 01-22-2002, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read this thread...it's only a few weeks old and should cover your question.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=23871
Old 01-22-2002, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the boss that hires you. My uncle's a landscaper and he hired me cause I'm family and I've always loved mowing,(started my own business two years ago at 12 by myself) but now i'm the only one he has working for him cause he knows I know what responsibilites he has to do and i help him. One time he hired a kid of age 16 who had liked cutting lawns for a long time in his life and so he hired him and then he got a phone call from a customer saying that some new kid made divets and scalped his lawn. He was pretty pissed. I also know that he hired a kid about a couple months back and fired him the next week. It's better to start your own business i think cause you don't have to worry about getting fired, you learn to be successful and the money is all going in your pocket, not to the whole crew. If you say you have so much experience, then express yourself by being a leader and not a little worker who gets paid minimum wage.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scraper, thanks, I'll probably just start posting on that thread.
Lawnkid, I don't have a trailer, though I have a good mower with a bagger and a garden tractor with plow,disc, mower (for backup), and snowplow, and grader blade, but I'd need push mower, string trimmer and other small items plus a trailer and I don't have that much money. Once I get enough money working for someone else I will likely go out on my branch...
Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-22-2002, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bet you COULD possible get hired, but you wouldn't touch anything more that a trimmer or blower. INSURANCE