Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2002, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Turn lights wont light up

I purchase a 1976 ford f100 today 390 engine, all the lights work except the turn signals they wont even register on the dash. does anyone have a clue whats the cause of this have replaced the round dimmer switch, anything else I should check
Old 01-24-2002, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turn signals are separate from the headlight circuit, so I don't think the dimmer switch will have any effect on them.

Most obvious thing to check is fuse and the flasher unit itself, I have a mid-70's GMC so I don't speak "Ford" too well but I believe the flasher unit should plug into the fuse panel. The flasher may be dead, or it could be just not making good contact with the terminals.

If you get the signals working but the indicator lights on the dash don't work, then it's the small bulbs in the indicators.

Since the switch mounted under the steering wheel controls everything, a problem there can also mean "no signals". I believe this switch also incorporates the 4-way flasher circuit switch as well, there may be a problem there.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

gotta be the flasher unit or the fuse....do they work if you work the signal switch do the lites come on?, got brake lites?
brad
Old 01-25-2002, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the emergency flashers work then it's a fuse or flasher problem. The emergency flasher uses the same wires running back to the lights and it works from a different flasher than the ts lights.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I have brake lights I replaced the flasher unit, I check the old flasher unit in my jeep and the unit work in their so I know the flasher unit are good. still won't light up on dash or turn singial wont come on
Old 01-25-2002, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I pushed the hazard button the left side blinks and shows on the dash,the right side lights stay on but dosent blink or show on the dash, i took the front right blink cover off and it was grounded from inside the bulb with a wire on the frame when i took it lose it still wouldnt blink on the right any other suggestions
Old 01-25-2002, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

go under the truck and check all your wiring to the turnsignals. chances are you might have a bare wire touching the frame or something . I had basicly the same problem with my 80 chevy. I crawled underneith and found the wires had burned up against the exhaust and caused a short in the circuit.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When your emergency flasher is on are the lights on the right side much dimmer than on the left? Does your left turn signal work?