Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Any advice for cleaning and sealing a patio?

I sealed an aggregate drive for the first time a few months ago. It turned out pretty well, and I was recommended to new clients. They want me to wash and seal their brick patio. It is almost 1,000sq ft. However, he wants the brick to be "shiny"?(his words) I have never noticed brick with a sheen before. Do I need a special sealer to get the bricks to shine? Is it even possible? Any advice or info pertaining to brick sealing, or patio sealing in general will be appreciated.

Also, from what I have read since the first driveway, I think an orbital cleaning attachment for my washer would save me a lot of time. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find them? Is there a big difference in the range of quality? What kind of price range?

Thanks,
Ned
Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your local brick or paver supplier should have the sealer product in stock. Be sure to read and follow the instructions to the letter.

One thing I do know about this process is you are supposed to wait like 6 or 12 months after the pavers or bricks have been installed before you seal them. Reason being is there are salts that leach out of them for a while. Once those salts have totally leached out, then you can seal the patio.

I know....I know.....you see people sealing them right after they are installed all the time. But if you read the directions on the product, you'll find that I am telling you the truth.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-20-2007, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only guy who follows the label (must be the pesticide training). You are completely correct, we recommend waiting 6 full months for sealing pavers and when we up sell it is scheduled accordingly. A lot of guys aren't following directions with chemicals though.

TechniSeal carries a great "wet" sealer. We always use TechniSeal and have always been happy with the results so far.

http://www.techniseal.com/homeus.php...=1&langue_Id=1

Market value for this service seems to be consistently between $85-100 mh and the sealer should run around $30-35 a gal. (seals 100 ft2).
Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. The techniseal web site could not find a dealer in my area. I will check with some brick suppliers. In the meantime, any other brand suggestions? I assume that when the sealer says it has a "wet look", that is what I need to make it look shiney?

Team Green, $85-$100 mh, does mh=man hours? And is does that figure include the price of the sealer? Or, on top of that cost?

Can anyone estimate how long it would take you to apply 10 gal? And how long would you estimate it will take a guy that has never done it before(me)? Just looking for some ballpark figures.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

We always use Techniseal products but if you cannot get them there is Sure-Bond, Seal King, Scoffield, H&C etc... Just go to your local paver supplier and see what they sell.

Timin gwill vary on how you are applying the sealer. Roller, Squegee or spray? I always roll. 10 gallons should not take for than an hour.

http://www.paverprotector.com
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5485 View Post
Thanks for the responses. The techniseal web site could not find a dealer in my area. I will check with some brick suppliers. In the meantime, any other brand suggestions? I assume that when the sealer says it has a "wet look", that is what I need to make it look shiney?

Team Green, $85-$100 mh, does mh=man hours? And is does that figure include the price of the sealer? Or, on top of that cost?

Can anyone estimate how long it would take you to apply 10 gal? And how long would you estimate it will take a guy that has never done it before(me)? Just looking for some ballpark figures.

Thanks for your help
Let the customer know that it will not look excatly like the picture. Yes that sealer can provide the wet look with a high gloss sealer but it will never look excatly like the picture there is a little how shall we say computer inhancement there. We had an issue with a customer on this and we went round and round with her on a deal like this because the sealer was not as shiny as she wanted it. We even told her at the start of the job that it would be a high gloss finish but not expect the excat look in the picture and she still cussed me. For god's sake follow the directions to the t and make sure the homeowner knows that you are even after I did all that it was still a nightmare.