Register free!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

playing phone tag w/customers

How many times do you attempt to contact your customers by phone?

This time of year, we receive customer renewal forms, prepayments, etc for the 2008 lawn/tree care season. Our forms have options for the customer to comment, refer others, or "ask for us to call them back" cuz they have questions.

I make all these callbacks personally. Weekends and evenings too, yet some people are very hard to get ahold of. I always leave a message with our office number, but when they never call us back, and after five tries on my part, I get a little frustrated. Any suggestions? (cuz this happens every year). Thanks, rscvp
Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i call three times, on the third i say I dont want to kep pestering you so if i dont hear back from you, then i will assume you have had your question answered, or have decided to go w/ another company Thank you and have a good day and if i can be of assistance in the future please feel free to callme at #
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
i call three times, on the third i say I dont want to kep pestering you so if i dont hear back from you, then i will assume you have had your question answered, or have decided to go w/ another company Thank you and have a good day and if i can be of assistance in the future please feel free to callme at #
Sounds about right.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
How many times do you attempt to contact your customers by phone?

This time of year, we receive customer renewal forms, prepayments, etc for the 2008 lawn/tree care season. Our forms have options for the customer to comment, refer others, or "ask for us to call them back" cuz they have questions.

I make all these callbacks personally. Weekends and evenings too, yet some people are very hard to get ahold of. I always leave a message with our office number, but when they never call us back, and after five tries on my part, I get a little frustrated. Any suggestions? (cuz this happens every year). Thanks, rscvp
Are you required by state to have signed contracts?

If not do what I do....

With Rd5 ( my last round of the season ) I put a little check off on the return slip that says

<>schedule me for the earliest spring treatment

I would bet 40-50% use that right there. Then when my pre pay letter goes out I remind the customer that this is just a chance to pre pay for the service, and we will be out in the spring to start on the program. Of course I mention that when I sell the customer, that I am a year to year service and you need to tell me to stop coming out.

Then when I start with Rd1 I call the ones I haven't heard anything from and say something like this.. " Im coming out on Tuesday of next week to do your first treatment, if you have any questions please call me "

Every year I have 1 or 2 that say they never ordered the service, even though I remind them that I explained my policy when I sold them. I dont let it bother me too much.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we make our contracts auto renew unless otherwise renegotiated. this means we return every year unless they give us notice or we have to change the price. much easier. but more onto what you said, i call three times and then leave it up to them to call back. if not, oh well, you are not a babysitter
Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try email. Some folks prefer it to phones. Many will check email from work & get back to you during business hours which is preferable to dinner time anyway.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Calls and contacting

When making any call beyond the first tell then they must reach you to continue to pursue their question.

All our services are self renewing year to year.
Every piece of paper a customer receives from us has this statement on it.

Please remember all lawn service companies programs continue year to year, like your utility services, until you cancel or change them. A note or telephone call is sufficient. Thank you

We send a postcard out to anyone we suspect doesn't understand just prior to start of R-1.
mount airy, md 21771-0630