Register free!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

How much to caharge for fertilizing?

I have two little league baseball fields that the owner wants fertilized twice each. I was wondering what i should charge for labor costs? I will be using just a regular walking spreader.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

how long will it take you and what do you charge/hr? also remember w/ an area that big you'll need either to get a foamer or set flags so you get a good application, personally I'd want something bigger than a push spreader to do it w/.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Little league fields are gonna be no larger than 15,000 square feet depending on the infield being skinned or not and if they have bullpens on the sidelines. A push spreader will be fine b/c they are not much larger than the average home lawn.

Figure you material, labor and profit. Hard to tell you how much to charge b/c I dont know your overhead or market.

It also depends on if your kids are in the league or not then they want it for free!!!!

You could always work out a deal for an advertising sign on the outfield fence. I have done that before.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Lawnboyz View Post
I have two little league baseball fields that the owner wants fertilized twice each. I was wondering what i should charge for labor costs? I will be using just a regular walking spreader.
Find the size of the field first. Good way to estimate is to take the average of the three measurements to the outfield fence, left, center and right. Then you can think of the field as a quarter circle and use that formula to find the size ( ∏ r2). So if the field has an average length to the outfield fence of 300 feet use 300 as your radius:

300 squared is 90,000
times pi (3.14) is 282,600
divided by four is 70,650

If the infield is skinned, subtract the size of the infield based upon the length of the basepath (60' usually) using the same formula as above. If it is a regulation baseball field, I don't subtract out the base paths because there is no way to avoid getting fertilizer on it and you need to account for that.

A safe assumption for a walk behind spreader is about an acre an hour.

70,000 is just under two hours so you can use that for time. Two applications a year brings you to four hours a year.

Don't forget to upsell doing non-selective herbicide on the basepaths (as long as you're licensed, of course)
Old 02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh crap---turfmann is right about the measurements. I didnt divide right in my head when I was thinking about the fields we do.

But I still know pushing two fields isnt hard I have done more than that with a push spreader before. But the PG is nicer and the Z is even nicer. Bang out a field in minutes.