Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry not getting back earlier to your question. One box is shovels etc.......all in there together. The other is power tools......blowers, cut saw, chain saw. In the mix you'll find a tool set, ropes, straps, oil etc.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like your T190 painted. Looks good.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After reading every post in this entire thread I just wanted to say...

You are a very blessed man. Your parents did a great job teaching you how to be a man/businessman. Your education has obviously helped you tremendously. I believe that God has his hand on you as well.

You seem driven and very well organized. You must have a great sense of cost vs. what you can sell jobs for in order to do these jobs and make enough $$ to pay off all the equipment you have. It takes a certain level of intelligence AND sheer guts to do jobs on this level.

You must also have great skills with hiring and managing people.

Your finished work looks fantastic.

I only wish that after 8 years of doing this I was at your level.

Your attitude is fantastic as well. There were a few times when folks came into this thread and said some pretty useless things and you responded with tact showing again how positive you are. Good job.

I have great respect for you as a young man.

Can I come intern for you?

Thanks for the employee manual. I've changed a few things to make it my own but other than that I pretty much stole it. You did a fantastic job on it.

I'm envious and jealous of your success and accomplishments, I need to go pray.

Thank you for this thread. It's motivated me.

I'm proud of you.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

geez scott

Todd already has a big head, no need to give him an inflated ego more so....

Todd worked for me while he was interning one summer at TGLC. He's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

He does good work and is obviously rolling out the jobs.

No reason to get arrogant, but that's why I posted, I didn't get the feeling he was egotistical.

He's confident.

Big difference.

I'm highly impressed.

Trying to hire from his age group I go through people like I go through water bottles. Lazy, foul mouthed, horrible work ethic, poor dressers, disrespectful and just plain stupid.

It's fantastic to see a 23 year old doing this well.

I'm energized and motivated, because if he can do it, with God's help I can do it.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well thanks Scott! Family, experience, luck and God have helped me quite a bit your could say!

-Not to mention Mark's guidence.......haha. Many evenings of my summer I spent with a hand full of Mapquest directions from him and a watering truck. I was living large, all $9hr of it! The best part was one week my check was bigger then my supervisors because of my hours......he didn't really like that haha. Don't worry, it all went to rent while I was at VT.

The handbook is compiled of several handbooks. I added and deleted to fit me and as you have done so for yourself. Its all pretty generic stuff, just a matter of adding what you need here and there for your particular company.

BTW, I'm getting old.......I'll be 24 in less then two weeks . Time to head off to my first home show, this should be interesting.........4 days long. I'll post some pictures later.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to see the pics from the home show. You really are an inspiration for people on here because of your intelligence and success. Keep it up!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This was my display. First show I've done and next year I will double my booth size. It will include 'Blue' with a patio surround it and the bed landscaped. That will give me a ton of attention vs blending in with the others. My display was still effective and I got a lot of good leads and appointments. I highly recommend doing shows to anyone thinking about it. If all else you get to network with others related to the industry and also just being seen......getting your name out there. I know that this show was expensive compared to others across the country so take advantage of these opportunities. It is hit and miss but all you need is one job to recover the booth. You don't have to go all out with a $100,000+ display like some I know at the show.

Good plant variety, lot of attention I got on that. Laptop scrolling, candy, cards etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
This was my display. First show I've done and next year I will double my booth size. It will include 'Blue' with a patio surround it and the bed landscaped. That will give me a ton of attention vs blending in with the others. My display was still effective and I got a lot of good leads and appointments. I highly recommend doing shows to anyone thinking about it. If all else you get to network with others related to the industry and also just being seen......getting your name out there. I know that this show was expensive compared to others across the country so take advantage of these opportunities. It is hit and miss but all you need is one job to recover the booth. You don't have to go all out with a $100,000+ display like some I know at the show.

Good plant variety, lot of attention I got on that. Laptop scrolling, candy, cards etc.
What program did you use to scroll through pictures? Also what size booth is that? Anything besides larger size you would change?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The booth was a 10'x10' and cost $1700......btw, that is high compared to other shows. I had to pay another $95 for electricity!

I literally burned a lot of pictures on a CD and stuck it in......when prompted I selected to view the pictures in a slide show and turned off my screen saver.

No, just larger. It will cost twice that next time. If I decide to do it again this fall I will use 'Blue' and just put bulk material in the back.........irregular flagstone, boulders etc. Cover the truck with business cards/handouts and push hardscapes for the winter. I think doing what I just mentioned would work great. I don't need to build a display, just use Blue + bulk product. They'll see the stone and go 'hey, I want that'......gets the point across.

Not to mention clean up........crank the truck and drive off!